cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invited to apply for Citi Simplicity

tag
IveSeenEnough

Re: Invited to apply for Citi Simplicity

This practice should be illegal.   Either the CC Companies should send you a pre-approval based on a soft-pull OR non-descript advertising with no implied promise of approval.   They seem to target people who's credit has marginally improved but not sufficiently to give them the broadest range of choices.   I can't imagine how many people are damaging their credit even more with inquiries reaching for this carrot on a stick.   I agree with an earlier poster.  Stay away from these offers until your FICO is in the 700-720+ range (forget the FAKO altogether) and you've removed the negatives from your CR.   In the meantime you're better off with secured cards that convert to non-secured cards (like BofA visa for example) after 12 months.   Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  I guess that's mine

Starting Score: 535
Current Score: 678
Goal Score: 750

Message 11 of 22
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

If they waited a year and a half to apply I am sure they will take your advice into consideration. 

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 12 of 22
tcbofade
Super Contributor

She got it in December of 13.  Smiley Happy

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 13 of 22
nycsimone
Regular Contributor

I applied for both the Chase Marriott Premier card and the Citi HHonors Gold card the same day. Both said "decision pending".

I've had a Chase Slate for a little over 1 year with a 3k spending limit ($1,800 balance), and a Citi Diamond Preferred for a little over 1 year with a 1.9K spending limit ($1,500 balance). My overall utilization is 35% on my revolving credit.

After getting the "pending" message from both Citi and Chase I called the recon line.

Chase first...I played dumb and simply asked the lady if she needed more info from me. Put me on hold for 5 minutes and came back saying she had approved my card with a 5k limit. Great.

Not onto Citi. I actually received an email from them with an invitation to apply for the Citi Thank you Preferred with 20k bonus points. I decided to instead apply for the HHonors card with 50k bonus points as I travel quite a bit. So today I called the recon line and the guy on the phone sounded like a complete idiot. Wouldn't give me any reasons and simply said I will receive information in the mail. Asked if I could speak to someone who could review my application and reconsider. Put me on hold for 5 minutes...came back and said sorry declined...you'll get the info in the mail.

My scores range from a 690 to a 730. There's no baddies at all and the reason it's lower than it should be is because I have over 10 inquiries.

I have had a Citi card for over 1 year, never been late. I have no baddies on my CR. My util is 35%. My income is over 60k. Why the denial and them being so shady about it?

Message 14 of 22
islandgirl759
Valued Member

Hi nycsimone, I was wondering what the result of this was, did you get approved? I've just also applied and gotten the status pending. Called and they told me the same thing, will receive something in the mail. Based on my 7/14/2014 Experian report my score was 738 and I have no collections with perfect payment history. I have some inquiries on there due to recently purchasing a new car. I can't think of any other reason why I would not have been instantly approved?

Transunion - 786 (Discover it) 8/21/2015
Equifax - 760 (Quizzle) 8/25/2015
CreditKarma - 757 (TU) & 760 (EQ) - 8/23/15
Fico 8 Equifax - 772 (Citi CC)
Fico 8 Experian - 773 (Amex CC)
Bank Of America Cash Back Rewards- $9500 CL, Discover It Cash Back Rewards - $7800 CL, Citi Simplicity - $9500 CL, AMEX BCE - $7000 CL

Things have changed a bit Smiley Happy

Transunion - 771 (Discover it + Myfico score) 7/21/2014
- 749 (Discover it) 8/21/2014 - lost 22 points after app spree
Experian - 724 (from them directly) 8/10/2014 (AMEX said it was 735?)
Equifax - 748 (Quizzle) 7/28/2014
- 736 (Quizzle) 8/28/2014 - lost 12 points after app spree
CreditKarma - 759 - 8/9/14 (went up from 738 +24 pts 7/31/2014)

Bank Of America Cash Back Rewards- $6500, Discover It Cash Back Rewards - $3500, Citi Simplicity - $5000, AMEX BCE - $2000
Message 15 of 22
keithB
Established Contributor

I got The Citi Diamond prefered invite but when I applied I got a big fat "NO".  I knew I wasn't ready but they put the 11.9% carrot in my face and like a fool, went for it.

Moral of the story, keep gardening if that's where you think you need to be.  I don't think Citi pre-approvals are as good as some of the others.

Message 16 of 22
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

OK, I wasn't invited, but DW received an "invitation to apply" in the mail yesterday.  0% for 18 months...y'all just KNOW that I love zero percent....but...

Frankly, we both believe that IF she applies for it, they'll deny her...

Her TU is 648 courtesy of Wallymart 7/4/12.

EQ 635 courtesy of a Discover denial 7/7/12.

EX 634 FAKO as of today.

No recent baddies, but a few medical charge offs in 06 and 07.

Frankly, I think it's a waste of an inquiry to apply.

Your thoughts?

from my personal experience Citi invites are just marketing tools and not at all solid.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 17 of 22
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@nycsimone wrote:

I applied for both the Chase Marriott Premier card and the Citi HHonors Gold card the same day. Both said "decision pending".

I've had a Chase Slate for a little over 1 year with a 3k spending limit ($1,800 balance), and a Citi Diamond Preferred for a little over 1 year with a 1.9K spending limit ($1,500 balance). My overall utilization is 35% on my revolving credit.

After getting the "pending" message from both Citi and Chase I called the recon line.

Chase first...I played dumb and simply asked the lady if she needed more info from me. Put me on hold for 5 minutes and came back saying she had approved my card with a 5k limit. Great.

Not onto Citi. I actually received an email from them with an invitation to apply for the Citi Thank you Preferred with 20k bonus points. I decided to instead apply for the HHonors card with 50k bonus points as I travel quite a bit. So today I called the recon line and the guy on the phone sounded like a complete idiot. Wouldn't give me any reasons and simply said I will receive information in the mail. Asked if I could speak to someone who could review my application and reconsider. Put me on hold for 5 minutes...came back and said sorry declined...you'll get the info in the mail.

My scores range from a 690 to a 730. There's no baddies at all and the reason it's lower than it should be is because I have over 10 inquiries.

I have had a Citi card for over 1 year, never been late. I have no baddies on my CR. My util is 35%. My income is over 60k. Why the denial and them being so shady about it?

Maybe they have an issue with your UTL on your Chase (60%) and your card with them (79%) ? That would be my best guess

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 18 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@keithB wrote:

I got The Citi Diamond prefered invite but when I applied I got a big fat "NO".  I knew I wasn't ready but they put the 11.9% carrot in my face and like a fool, went for it.

Moral of the story, keep gardening if that's where you think you need to be.  I don't think Citi pre-approvals are as good as some of the others.

And remember, you don't need to apply for a card just because you got some form of mail.  Does the card make sense?  Is there another card, even from the same issuer, that makes more sense.   Too many here go for what is basically marketing, in a way they wouldn't go for other marketing (my example of buying a particular car just because  you get an ad for it)

Message 19 of 22
keithB
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@keithB wrote:

And remember, you don't need to apply for a card just because you got some form of mail.  Does the card make sense?  Is there another card, even from the same issuer, that makes more sense.   Too many here go for what is basically marketing, in a way they wouldn't go for other marketing (my example of buying a particular car just because  you get an ad for it)

Yes, I realize the Citi Diamond Preferred isn't the most glamorous card but the 11.9% they "offered" would have been my lowest APR.  I guess I wanted to just get an APR in the better zone as my next lowest is 16.9% with USAA.  I was hoping I could get lower and play the companies against each other, haha.... I was the only one that got played =P

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.