Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irate with Cap1

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Irate with Cap1

I have been a customer of Cap1's for about 3 years never missed a payment. I got another Cap1 card a month ago. I hadn't recieved my first statement on my new card so I called. I was one day past the due date I paid it immediatly. I asked the CSR rep (which I think was from India) If there would be negative effects since I was a day late and hadnt recieved my first statement. He said no. He waived the 39.00 late fee. I get a letter in the mail my rate goes up to 19.99% from the 0% interest rate I had. I was livid. I called the back door number no help they say they cannot lower the rate back even though I never recieved my first statement!!! Any suggestions?? Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Irate with Cap1

I would say dont use the card. Just sock drawer the **bleep** card.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have been a customer of Cap1's for about 3 years never missed a payment. I got another Cap1 card a month ago. I hadn't recieved my first statement on my new card so I called. I was one day past the due date I paid it immediatly. I asked the CSR rep (which I think was from India) If there would be negative effects since I was a day late and hadnt recieved my first statement. He said no. He waived the 39.00 late fee. I get a letter in the mail my rate goes up to 19.99% from the 0% interest rate I had. I was livid. I called the back door number no help they say they cannot lower the rate back even though I never recieved my first statement!!! Any suggestions?? Smiley Sad

I heard of someone who tried the backdoor number for a CLI and got declined and called back and got the CLI.  

So have you tried calling again?  

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

PIF, check online every so often(i check all my accounts at least weekly so i know if something is due if statement were not to come)
Message 4 of 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

it's a somewhat outmoded idea that it is enough to rely on a snail mailed statement as the only means for account info., unless you somehow do not have superior options available to you.  it's almost like a bakestball player playing on his knees, not a good move.

mind you i am sympathetic and wish it hadn't happened.  you can ultimately turn the situation around when you call back believing you will talk to the right person who will help you.  Cap1 does give second chances.  let this be the last time you have to say, 'because i didn't receive my statement' in a recession.  of course pif if you can. 

Message Edited by score_building on 12-11-2008 08:51 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I heard of someone who tried the backdoor number for a CLI and got declined and called back and got the CLI.  

So have you tried calling again?  

What are your chances of geting the same CSR?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If calling back and asking the next CSR doesn't work (and I'd try at least a 3rd time if the 2nd doesn't work), call the CapitalOne Corporate HQ, and ask to speak to someone in media relations. More than likely, they'll find someone above the CSRs who can help you. If that doesn't work, pay it off and SD it.
Message Edited by LilMirth on 12-11-2008 02:22 AM
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What are your chances of geting the same CSR?

I don't know, but I would think with a company the size of Cap 1 it would have to be very low.

Message 8 of 11
GregB
Valued Contributor

It seems to be a trend for CC companies to try to raise interest rates and charge late fees with only a small misstep by their customers. Capital One seems to have a lower threshold for this than most.

I am sorry for the problem you created for yourself. It does seem to be a big punishment for a small error on your part. It is particularly easy to miss the FIRST payment since you may not even know the due date if you haven't received your first statement yet.

I can tell you that I am very happy with Capital One but I pay all my payments in advance on their website. I agree that trusting snail mail to recieve paper statements and to get your payment received on time is obsolete.

I think the most important part of this is to improve your system so this doesn't happen again. This won't affect your FICO score, you are just hurt on the interest rate. PIF and it won't matter anyway.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me begin by saying that I am sorry this happened to you. 

With so many options for statement delivery and viewing, Cap1 may not overturn this AA. Cap1 disclosure states that a missed payment could send you to the default rate. So, try not to take this AA personally.

If I were you, I would call back and ask for a reconsideration of this AA. I would certainly mention that a different CSR had assured you that there would be no further negative effects. If you are lucky, that call was monitored and recorded for quality assurance purposes. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.