cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 2 credit cards enough to establish credit?

tag
orestrus
Frequent Contributor

Is 2 credit cards enough to establish credit?

Ive heard it takes about 3 cards for perfect score, but will 2 get the job done? Thanks
BofA 5k, Cap 1 Journey 300, Cap 1 QS1 300, Walmart 6k,
Amex BCE 2000, Amex PRG, Amex Delta Gold 2k, Macy's 5k, Bloomies 6k, Amazon 6k, JCP 5k Macy's Amex 1.5k,
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is 2 credit cards enough to establish credit?

@orestrus wrote:
Ive heard it takes about 3 cards for perfect score, but will 2 get the job done? Thanks

3-4.

It'll get you part of the way there...

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

One is enough to establish credit, so long as it reports to all bureaus.

Three is recommended because of a score boost but that's different from simply establishing credit.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure, but my family believe in 3 credit cards rule. If 4th card is opened, then one of the previous card must be closed.
I'm black sheep of the family (and the lowest credit), so.... I don't follow that rule. 😆
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be careful about opening too many. If you don't use them every so often (usually every 6 months) then they'll eventually be closed.,

Message 5 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@orestrus wrote:

3-4.

It'll get you part of the way there...

The consensus seems to be anywhere from 2-4 to allow for some portfolio and credit mix diversity, but 2 CCs is a good start.  It all depends on your credit goals and how soon you want to achieve the "perfect" score.

Message 6 of 12
orestrus
Frequent Contributor

My goal is to get on board with Smex once my AAoA reaches 6 month mark. If i manage to get amex, i think ill be happy to garden for a year. So far 2 cards with 3% util , no baddies. Is Amex something i can hope for?
Amex BCE 2000, Amex PRG, Amex Delta Gold 2k, Macy's 5k, Bloomies 6k, Amazon 6k, JCP 5k Macy's Amex 1.5k,
Message 7 of 12
orestrus
Frequent Contributor

Up..
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@orestrus wrote:
Up..

Down.

Just keep good history on the cards you DO have and only let balance report on one between 1-9% for now. This is crucial now seeing as you are currently unlikely to get approved for anything really decent until you have a solid history built up.

Message 9 of 12
noobody
Established Contributor

2 cards in the long run could get you near 800 score, BUT if you ever decide to apply new credit, it will result a huge aaoa hit.

if you have 10 card, new trade line AAoA hit minimal.

clean and thin file will land you a AMEX, I say 9 month credit history or 6 month AAoA should get you in!

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.