cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 20% total util too high for Amex CLI?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Is 20% total util too high for Amex CLI?

Everything is current, FICOs are in my siggy. Amex bal is $660 on $6k CL, which I'm paying next week (not due till Jan, anyway) and about $250 on Zync, which I'm also paying next week (not due till end of Dec). I thought it would be a good idea to PIF bals before asking for a CLI, just to be safe.

My last Amex CLI was @ 61 days, back in April. I've been reluctant to go for another CLI because I am carrying 2 BTs @ 0%, which in addition to my regular monthly charges, come to 20% total util.

So, I wonder if I should just let sleeping dogs lie and wait to CLI till my BTs are paid down. Or if they'll be okay w/a CLI at 20% total util.

I'd really appreciate hearing what others have experienced. I'm just super FR paranoid. Smiley Embarassed

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is 20% total util too high for Amex CLI?

Depends, some have had more than that and been approved some with way less and denied. No such thing as a permanent rule with them. It depends on when they last softed you on your CR as well. They will potentially see a 660 balance if you ask for a CLI right after you pay it off.

Message 2 of 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

Agree to PIF the balance and at least allow it to post before a request 20% not necessarily too high IME. If individual acct BT promo balances are > 50% of each of the 2 CLs, balances are 15k+, income reported <50k or DTI >40 may wait it out to increase odds but may be good to go, in any case, just some ball park figure meanderings...they seem to continue to be easy breezy in general with CLI for relatively strong profiles and the timing with the holidays could be beneficial.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 7
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

So, you're suggesting that I wait for the pmts to post in Amex's system, and not to the CRAs, right? Because I do let my Amex report the bal each month and then PIF by due date. So, even after these are paid, my next stmt w/have a bal again. (Hope that makes sense.)

The pmts are scheduled for Monday, so by Tuesday, they should be posted in Amex's system.

Yes, both BTs are >50% of the CLs, which has me nervous. Or more accurately, I don't want the CCs to get nervous. Smiley Frustrated  I'm less concerned about being declined than I am that I might poke the sleeping bear by asking for a CLI.

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

So, you're suggesting that I wait for the pmts to post in Amex's system, and not to the CRAs, right? Because I do let my Amex report the bal each month and then PIF by due date. So, even after these are paid, my next stmt w/have a bal again. (Hope that makes sense.)

The pmts are scheduled for Monday, so by Tuesday, they should be posted in Amex's system.

Yes, both BTs are >50% of the CLs, which has me nervous. Or more accurately, I don't want the CCs to get nervous. Smiley Frustrated  I'm less concerned about being declined than I am that I might poke the sleeping bear by asking for a CLI.

Yes. It makes perfect sense. IMHO your payment pattern as above is considered ideal by Amex. I suspect even if they use previous soft to decision CLI app, will also check current balance v statement balance, taking a peek at what proportion of previous statement balance has been paid (in your case 100%) on the account at time of request.  

If are making payments of at least 10% of outstanding balances and the BTs haven't maxed the individual CLs would be less concerned, not that much concern is warranted, since FR can happen based on a variety of factors and CLI request is not on its own necessarily a red flag. If slow pay, high DTI, maxed BTs, neg info, blemished Amex history, already have more than 1 Amex revolver (as opposed to charge card) etc etc are a part of the picture then may want to time reporting UTI more favorably.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 7
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Yes, that would also be my suggestion. I would wait after the payment is posted in the Amex site and you can see your CL back to its entirety. But of course if you PIF every month they can see that as well, and I assume you have been using the card. You should be fine, and of course they have been generous with me with CLI -- My BCP is now at 20k!

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 6 of 7
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the replies! I'll wait for the pmts to post and see if I can muster up the courage to call this week. Smiley Embarassed

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.