cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 3 the max number of AMEX CARDS one can have?

tag
alvon123
Super Contributor

Is 3 the max number of AMEX CARDS one can have?

What is the maximum number of personal (not business or cobranded) cards AMEX will let you have at one time? Is 3 cards the max?

I plan on apping in May for AMEX cards (in May all 9 of my EXP inquiries will not count on fico report) for backdating purposes (1990's)  to help out my AAOA and was just curious on the max number of cards that Amex would let  someone have at one time.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
brianjb
Contributor

Re: Is 3 the max number of AMEX CARDS one can have?

I don't know about the max, but I have 4 AMEX cards that are all in my name ( I am not an AU on any).  I got them all within months of each other.

I started with the Costco TrueEarnings.  Then a couple of weeks later, I added the BCE and Hilton.  Then about two months later, I apped for the Hilton Surpass and got approved.

BTW, I got the sign up bonus for both Hilton cards.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 2 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Max is 4 personal credit cards  (discussed on the FT Blue Cash thread, people initially rejected because they had 4, they then closed one and got the Blue)

Message 3 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Max is 4 personal credit cards  (discussed on the FT Blue Cash thread, people initially rejected because they had 4, they then closed one and got the Blue)

I believe it's 4 credit cards but you can have a charge too?

Message 4 of 8
mfoxxx
New Contributor

I have 4. 

In the garden, Sep 10, 2015.
Message 5 of 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

They told me I only can have 4 credit cards with Amex when I got denied for Lowe's Amex business. It doesn't matter it's a personal or business card.

Ron.

Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, the 4 personal credit cards do not include charge cards or business cards, just a limit of 4 on personal revolvers.

Edit: Just saw Ron's post, so maybe biz credit cards also count towards the four.

Message 7 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, the 4 personal credit cards do not include charge cards or business cards, just a limit of 4 on personal revolvers.

Edit: Just saw Ron's post, so maybe biz credit cards also count towards the four.

never use to be that way... my father had 7

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.