cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 5 Inquiries in two year period too many?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Is 5 Inquiries in two year period too many?

I'm curious to know how many inquiries are thought to be too many in the eyes of a potential creditor?

I have two recent inquiries in the last 10 months and two more that will be one year old as of november.A total of 5 all with Equifax.I have only two inquiries on both Experian and TransUnion for the last two years. What is the tipping point, how any inquiries when credit scores take a dive and creditors start to get nervous that a person might be apping too much?

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is 5 Inquiries in two year period too many?

I think that it really just varies on the lender.  What one might see as too many, another might think is no big deal.

Message 2 of 4
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

That's not a lot of inq. IMO, when a CC uses that as a reason, there are probably other factors (like maybe util). However, I think when you start going over 5 to 7 in a year, that's a lot. Keep in mind that the inq are usually spread out over the 3 CRAs. So, if you have 5 inq on each CR, that's 15 total. That is a lot. Probably CCs take that into acct also; they know the CRA they check is just representative of the other 2.

Personally, I have tried to keep my inq as low as possible. I don't always have control over which CRA is going to be pulled. So, I treat each HP like a diamond. Recently Navy said that I could ask to lower my interest rate -- but it would likely be a HP. Since I always PIF anyway, I declined. It would be nice to have a lower rate, since my credit has improved since getting the card. But for me, it's just not worth the HP.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 4
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Thanks for the input.Inquiries are like diamonds.Have to use them sparingly and only in a must have situation.This is something I never factored in when thinking about my credit.Now I'm mindful of the various effects that can impact my fico score.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.