cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is A STORE Card Issued By Citi Considered A "Prime" Card?

tag
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Is A STORE Card Issued By Citi Considered A "Prime" Card?

I know the Visa and M/C cards are. But wondering about the Citi issued store cards. Two for one post: Also: Are the Barclay cards (Visa or M/C) considered prime cards?

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: Is A STORE Card Issued By Citi Considered A "Prime" Card?

Good question I would also like to know this.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 2 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Prime is in the eye of the beholder: for every single definition I've ever heard (outside of FICO score, which is the traditional use of the term which is a borrower classification, the term has since been bastardized) I've been able to find a counter-example.  Capital One's new Quicksilver is the one that really breaks the model people tend to espouse.

End of the day the important thing is whether the card is good for you or not, and someone else's opinion on the matter means very, very little.

My own $0.02 opinion: any national bank card > any store card regardless of lender.  That said, if a Citi backed store card reports identically to say one of the regular Citi cards to where an underwriter can't tell the difference, it's equilvalent.  If it doesn't report the same, it's not: I admittedly have a pretty simplistic view of the credit universe on that point Smiley Happy.

        
Message 3 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Prime is in the eye of the beholder: for every single definition I've ever heard (outside of FICO score, which is the traditional use of the term which is a borrower classification, the term has since been bastardized) I've been able to find a counter-example.  Capital One's new Quicksilver is the one that really breaks the model people tend to espouse.

End of the day the important thing is whether the card is good for you or not, and someone else's opinion on the matter means very, very little.

My own $0.02 opinion: any national bank card > any store card regardless of lender.  That said, if a Citi backed store card reports identically to say one of the regular Citi cards to where an underwriter can't tell the difference, it's equilvalent.  If it doesn't report the same, it's not: I admittedly have a pretty simplistic view of the credit universe on that point Smiley Happy.

+1.

There's really no definition of prime vs. subprime.

My opinion is pretty much the same as Revelate's. 

National bank cards are generally harder to get vs. CU credit cards and store cards, but that doesn't really mean CUs and store cards are that bad either. If those cards are more suitable for you, go with it. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Imo, scores are more of a prime example of "prime"
Hahahaah
"Prime" credit, as defined by the CFPB is a FICO of 660-720
720+ is super prime per the CFPB site.

But it's assumed someone with a prime score could get a subprime credit product. Lol
What was the question?
Nevermind. Hahaha
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 9
BMW_M-Series
New Contributor

ive never understood the definition of a 'prime' cards. is it how banks look at the cards? what if you have a low credit score and you get a first premier credit card with 750$ limit and 15% apr. and then discover approves you for the card but only gives you a 500$ limit and gives you a 27% apr. will banks look at discover differently than the first premier? ive never really understood it. if anyone knows the answer i would like to konw what is considered prime and why its considered prime. and if there are 'prime' cards will amex look at someone with chase or discover better than someone with barclays? or vice versa

Chase Sapphire Preferred - American Express Platinum - American Express PRG -American Express SPG -American Express BCP - BofA Cash Rewards Visa Siggy - Citi TYP - Discover IT - PenFed Gold

In Garden
Message 6 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@BMW_M-Series wrote:

ive never understood the definition of a 'prime' cards. is it how banks look at the cards? what if you have a low credit score and you get a first premier credit card with 750$ limit and 15% apr. and then discover approves you for the card but only gives you a 500$ limit and gives you a 27% apr. will banks look at discover differently than the first premier? ive never really understood it. if anyone knows the answer i would like to konw what is considered prime and why its considered prime. and if there are 'prime' cards will amex look at someone with chase or discover better than someone with barclays? or vice versa

As mentioned above, it's not really accurate to talk about prime credit cards.  The borrower's market is divided into subprime and prime markets, and there's no precise thresshold for the dividing line.  In any event, there are cards that are marketed more to subprime borrowers, and so you could call those subprime cards, and similarly, there are cards that are marketed more toward the prime market.  But credit cards aren't really prime/subprime.  

All that said, yes, some lenders will frown on seeing first premier on your report because they are known as a lender that specializes in serving the subprime market, and a rather poor example of one at that.  That is true even though you may have a card from Discover or Chase with worse terms (though I doubt either Chase or Discover has a card with worse terms if you consider all the fees involved, not just the CL and APR).  Even so, this isn't a major factor, and it isn't something that is considered in your credit score. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if Barclay's considers Barclay's prime?  I'll have to ask them on my next recon call Man Mad

Seriously though, it's really in the eye of the beholder.  Do I feel better about handing a cashier an Amex BCE over Sportsman's Guide Visa?  Maybe a little, but my ego isn't all that fragile.  In the end I'm interested in the best rewards and I know exactly where I stand - and that's all that matters to me.

Message 8 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Well, Amex is def'ly more prime. Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.