cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is AMEX Likely To Change It's Mind In 30 Days?

tag
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Is AMEX Likely To Change It's Mind In 30 Days?

I apped for AMEX a month ago and was denied. But in 30 days my CR has changed significantly for the better point-wise and acct. wise. I'm suppoesed to be gardening but am tempted to take another shot for the GREEN charge (this time). Should I do it? If denied the absolute MOST it would mean is another HP.-2 if borderline.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Is AMEX Likely To Change It's Mind In 30 Days?

I wouldn't risk it, I was like you as my CRs have been significantly changing on a weekly basis when I was applying multiple times.  I've apped 5times? last month (due to my CRs changing w/ better scores), but all HPs & denied.  YMMV though, we're all pulling for ya. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 2 of 19
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Re: Is AMEX Likely To Change It's Mind In 30 Days?though

@yudology101: Not sure, but I think I saw your thread yesterday with the status chart. That's what is prompting me to try again-although I DO NOT intend to try again more that ONE TIME. I don't want AMEX NEARLY that bad-though I admired your persistance.

BUSINESS
Message 3 of 19
Iorek
Contributor

What in particular has changed? Without knowing that and knowing what reasons you were denied for, it's hard to say.

Amex BCE ($15k), TE ($5k), BoA BBR ($600), Cash Rewards ($600), Barclays Sallie Mae ($6k), CapOne Quicksilver ($4k), Chase Freedom ($5.8k), CSP ($11k), Marriott (9k), IHG (12k), DCU ($6k), Discover IT ($6.5k)
TU - 4 INQ, EX - 7 INQ, EQ - 3 INQ
Gardening since 06/25/14.
Message 4 of 19
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Still have the same baddies-old public records and a Cap 1 CO-ALL PAID. But my EX score has gone up 32 pts in the last month with a few new accts reporting usage, payment, and in good standing. Was denied for the baddies and no recent revolving credit accts mostly. EX score is now 669 according to this (myFico) site.

BUSINESS
Message 5 of 19
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I would wait out at least 31 days if not 61 days.  Any more possible near term improvements to credit?  You are borderline even with new score.  Really, the only goal is to get in before 2013 ends.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 19
Iorek
Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

I would wait out at least 31 days if not 61 days.  Any more possible near term improvements to credit?  You are borderline even with new score.  Really, the only goal is to get in before 2013 ends.

I agree. I could see an argument for applying again in December to get future backdating to start in 2013. Time will only help with the new app, especially with those baddies. The more time you can wait before reapplying the better imo.

Amex BCE ($15k), TE ($5k), BoA BBR ($600), Cash Rewards ($600), Barclays Sallie Mae ($6k), CapOne Quicksilver ($4k), Chase Freedom ($5.8k), CSP ($11k), Marriott (9k), IHG (12k), DCU ($6k), Discover IT ($6.5k)
TU - 4 INQ, EX - 7 INQ, EQ - 3 INQ
Gardening since 06/25/14.
Message 7 of 19
missjae
Established Contributor

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

I apped for AMEX a month ago and was denied. But in 30 days my CR has changed significantly for the better point-wise and acct. wise. I'm suppoesed to be gardening but am tempted to take another shot for the GREEN charge (this time). Should I do it? If denied the absolute MOST it would mean is another HP.-2 if borderline.

Waiting 30 days worked for me.  I apped in July and was declined.  Exactly 30 days later (I was counting lol), I apped again.  There were some changes to my credit report.  I added more cards (Barclays, BofA, Sam's Club, Local CU and Chase) which lowered my utilization. I already had a high amount of inquiries, so the app spree added more, but it didn't seem to affect the decision.  They only single pulled Experian.

Instantly approved for Amex Green.  Apped for the Hilton.  Got the 7-10 day message.  2 days later, they called to verify info and approved the Hilton for 5K which matched my highest limit.

The reason why I decided to app was because I was denied soley for my FICO score and figured I gained some points by decreasing utilization.

ETA:  I ended up paying my debt down significantly 2-3 weeks later and bet if I had waited, I would have gotten a higher limit.

Message 8 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

Give it 3 months Amex isn't going anywhere and your odds can only increase 

I aslo noticed your thinking green but I got the impression that's not what you applied for last month?

Why settle for a card you don't want if that's the case when you could just improve your chances by increasing scores and save the extra HP for down the road etc etc etc 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 19
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Iorek wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

I agree. I could see an argument for applying again in December to get future backdating to start in 2013. Time will only help with the new app, especially with those baddies. The more time you can wait before reapplying the better imo.

I agree with this. The more age you can put on your new accounts and the more time between the baddies and the app, the better.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.