Is AMEX worth it? (Update: APPROVED!)

tag
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Is AMEX worth it?

@chalupaman wrote:

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The only current ones I know if are from back in Dec 2013 by Best Buy (Citi pulled TU; denial).. I made a naive mistake back in May 2014 and applied for the Visa Signature BOA (got 7-10 day message; denial when I called), then I did the BOA Cash Rewards for Students and was approved (got 7-10 day message; CSR told me they couldn't approve me for the Visa Signature card but gave me the Platinum Plus).. So I am not sure if that was two hard pulls or not. 

Get the reports. Try prequalificators. Time to see what's being offered.

I never got any prequalified offers from Amex but got instant approval on my first card with them no problem. I've never gotten prequalified offers except from crap like Credit One so I don't think that's any guarantee for everyone quite honestly.

Never know til you try.... I don't get prequals most of the time either.....or instants.

Message 21 of 315
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I'm going to backtrack here a little...

OP, was that BOA card a secured that graduated, or a straight out unsecured revolver?

Message 22 of 315
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was not a secured card, Burned2manybridgesB4. 

Straight out unsecured! (I'm thinking because I had a checking account with direct deposit with BoA helped my approval chances). 

Message 23 of 315
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It was not a secured card, Burned2manybridgesB4. 

I'd say to find out your HP counts, use (credit pulls database) and some others that can't be listed here, to find out what's commonly pulled in your area, and try for the BOA CLI, if your request can be justified beyond "wanting a higher limit."

Message 24 of 315
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The only current ones I know if are from back in Dec 2013 by Best Buy (Citi pulled TU; denial).. I made a naive mistake back in May 2014 and applied for the Visa Signature BOA (got 7-10 day message; denial when I called), then I did the BOA Cash Rewards for Students and was approved (got 7-10 day message; CSR told me they couldn't approve me for the Visa Signature card but gave me the Platinum Plus).. So I am not sure if that was two hard pulls or not. 

Get the reports. Try prequalificators. Time to see what's being offered.

I never got any prequalified offers from Amex but got instant approval on my first card with them no problem. I've never gotten prequalified offers except from crap like Credit One so I don't think that's any guarantee for everyone quite honestly.

Never know til you try.... I don't get prequals most of the time either.....or instants.

I think the most helpful thing out there for when I don't have any prequalified offers is to just see how I compare to others in the CreditPulls database and go from there. I've gotten like three instant approvals with Amex and one time where I did two of the cards in a day on a single pull and how I had to get verification on the second card.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 25 of 315
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like both AMEX and BoA pull Experian here in Florida. (Sigh, this is frustrating, haha). 

Message 26 of 315
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest, I'd like to have the Discover It, AMEX PRG, and a CLI on my BoA Card.......That is my credit dream at the moment...  I just feel like I am going to get a denial if I go on a little spree with my thin file. 

Message 27 of 315
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just apply. Worst they can say is no.

Message 28 of 315
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Amex is completely worth it, to me. Just for the artificial AAoA boost with each new card.

The PRG wouldn't be worth it for me or some other people after the 2nd year. Mostly the sign up bonus and whatever bonus spend you can do on it.. then close it before the year is up. Maybe in January obtain new CC to backdate to 1/1/2014 instead of 1/1/15. Smiley Happy
Message 29 of 315
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Looks like both AMEX and BoA pull Experian here in Florida. (Sigh, this is frustrating, haha). 

Wait for CLIs? 

Amex isn't as inquiry sensitive as BoA IMO.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 30 of 315
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.