Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is AMEX worth it? (Update: APPROVED!)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is AMEX worth it? (Update: APPROVED!)

UPDATE: Read my approved story! http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/AMEX-DISCOVER-BOA-SUCCESS/td-p/3674427

Hi, all! Hope you Ficoers have been doing well! I just wanted to give a big thanks to every single one of you for helping others on here because without you folks, I wouldn't know a rabbits bottom about credit and how it works!

I'm hitting over 6 months of reported credit history now and I'm considering getting another card to make my credit file a little thicker (not to mention my current CL is something Mickey Mouse would laugh at). Many of you said the American Express Premiere Rewards Gold card should be something I should look into before the Discover It. 

I have two problems with the PRG card that makes me fear it's not for me: I cringe at the $175 AF after the second year and there on out when you have the card. I feel like regardless of the sign-up offer, you will hit even with the cards rewards and AF in about the second year and then afterwards you are just paying to have the card in your wallet.

SECONDLY, I am not sure if my spending gets benefit enough for the card. I spend about $300 monthly on my current credit card and that's gasoline, restaurants, and a few department stores here and there. I don't really fly or travel much as I use my car. I'm a big fan of getting the best benefit from using my card. 

I thought to myself that the Discover It fits me perfectly, but others disagreed and I valued their opinion about the low CL's Discover usually give first timers (especially with me only having 6 months of history), and how it's better to get your foot in the door with AMEX due to their respected company and cards, and also the backdating. I may add in my own vanity-shame it would also be an ego boost to whip out a beautiful AMEX card as it makes a statement that you've made it in the credit world. I'm not a fan of the BCE!

So please help me here Ficoers before I app! Tell me what you believe I should get based on my preferences! 

Info about me: 

0.62 AAoA
721 credit score (TU)
2 inquiries (One EX and other TU) Last app May 2014.
$18,000 annually
19 years old
One (and first) credit account opened May 2014- BOA Cash Rewards Platinum Plus $700 CL - 4% utilization next report

Message 1 of 315
314 REPLIES 314
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is AMEX worth it?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, all! Hope you Ficoers have been doing well! I just wanted to give a big thanks to every single one of you for helping others on here because without you folks, I wouldn't know a rabbits bottom about credit and how it works!

I'm hitting over 6 months of reported credit history now and I'm considering getting another card to make my credit file a little thicker (not to mention my current CL is something Mickey Mouse would laugh at). Many of you said the American Express Premiere Rewards Gold card should be something I should look into before the Discover It. 

I have two problems with the PRG card that makes me fear it's not for me: I cringe at the $175 AF after the second year and there on out when you have the card. I feel like regardless of the sign-up offer, you will hit even with the cards rewards and AF in about the second year and then afterwards you are just paying to have the card in your wallet.

SECONDLY, I am not sure if my spending gets benefit enough for the card. I spend about $300 monthly on my current credit card and that's gasoline, restaurants, and a few department stores here and there. I don't really fly or travel much as I use my car. I'm a big fan of getting the best benefit from using my card. 

I thought to myself that the Discover It fits me perfectly, but others disagreed and I valued their opinion about the low CL's Discover usually give first timers (especially with me only having 6 months of history), and how it's better to get your foot in the door with AMEX due to their respected company and cards, and also the backdating. I may add in my own vanity-shame it would also be an ego boost to whip out a beautiful AMEX card as it makes a statement that you've made it in the credit world. I'm not a fan of the BCE!

So please help me here Ficoers before I app! Tell me what you believe I should get based on my preferences! 

Info about me: 

0.62 AAoA
721 credit score (TU)
$18,000 annually
19 years old
One (and first) credit account opened May 2014- BOA Cash Rewards Platinum Plus $700 CL - 4% utilization next report

I think PRG was suggested, since some see the charge cards as a good way to get your foot in the door with AMEX, and some see that one as a good choice.   However, with a spend as low as yours, I don't think charge cards would be a good solution.

Since you've said you don't like BCE, that's out.   Are you a Costco member or open to becoming one?   TE gives 3% gas and 2% dining, which might fit your needs.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 315
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask BofA for CLI @ 6 months mark.
App for amex a week before the end of the year.
Message 3 of 315
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

With the oddity of Disco, since you're only at the $700 range, they'd probably give you a decent limit....???? Weird, but probable. They like starter profiles, IMO.

Agree with the CLI on BOA. They've been very good to me there, at the 3/6 month marks, but I pushed HP's to do it.

Message 4 of 315
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Info about me: 

0.62 AAoA
721 credit score (TU)
$18,000 annually
19 years old

The main reason you wanna get an Amex as soon as you can is that the backdating will come in handy later on and they tend to be pretty generous with CLs even if you don't have a year of credit history. I credit them a lot in helping me get other kinds of cards and not getting as many starting toy limits anymore. The earlier you set up your MSD date, the better. Did you try looking at their other revolvers that don't have an AF you can get?

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 5 of 315
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

Don't bother with an amex charge card if you don't need it, it's useless if you don't spend enough. Also, this time last year amex started putting the following years date for MSD. For instance some people applying in December 2013 had MSD 14 on their cards received in Dec 13.
Message 6 of 315
Anonymous
Not applicable

New questions, if I may!

Should I save the hard pull and do both Discover and AMEX or should I do one for my current BoA card and the other for AMEX? 

If so, should I do the apps and CLI's within a few minutes apart so the HP's won't show up? 

And which task should I do first? AMEX application? 

Message 7 of 315
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

New questions, if I may!

Should I save the hard pull and do both Discover and AMEX or should I do one for my current BoA card and the other for AMEX? 

If so, should I do the apps and CLI's within a few minutes apart so the HP's won't show up? 

Do you want growth, or diversification first?

Message 8 of 315
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it be a good idea to get the PRG and then close it on the second year or would that totally mess up my AAoA and future chances with AMEX? 

Message 9 of 315
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

New questions, if I may!

I think Discover usually pulls from EQ in most places and BoA will use a TU report for CLIs. Amex always pulls from EX so I don't think it would matter that much which order you do the apps in.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 10 of 315
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.