Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Amex PRG better than the Green

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Is Amex PRG better than the Green

Just upgraded my amex green card to the amex prg through an Amex offer but not sure it was a great idea; higher AF and better bonus spend but is it worth it.  Does it carry any more weight in your portfolio of cards and future apps.......wonder if I can cancel the upgrade

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Is Amex PRG better than the Green

@ecxpa wrote:

Just upgraded my amex green card to the amex prg through an Amex offer but not sure it was a great idea; higher AF and better bonus spend but is it worth it.  Does it carry any more weight in your portfolio of cards and future apps.......wonder if I can cancel the upgrade

I don't think af is worth it for prg in most cases, I personally prefer EDP to prg since i don't put that much on travel. I only like prg for the signup bonus and first free year AF. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@ecxpa wrote:

I don't think af is worth it for prg in most cases, I personally prefer EDP to prg since i don't put that much on travel. I only like prg for the signup bonus and first free year AF. 

+1

Amex PRG is not worth it after the first year waived AF/sign-up bonus due to the lackluster rewards, non-existent perks, and high AF. The only Amex charge card that makes sense from a cost-benefit perspective is the Amex Plat if you can make use of its perks. The Green card has weak rewards and an AF. The PRG has worse rewards than the EDP (or even the no AF ED) and has high AF. I guess the PRG makes sense if you have high travel spend that you book through Amex's portal. Otherwise, the card is a waste of an AF. 

Way I see it any AF card needs to have a perk that makes it worthwhile (i.e. rewards like high points or benefits like lounge access. The Plat has perks that can be worth way more than $495/year for people who travel a lot. The Centurion has prestige I guess and maybe a better concierge service (not sure) that might make it worthwhile for some people. The PRG has no perks beside rewards and the rewards don't quite measure up for a card with $195 in AF. 

Message 3 of 13
taxi818
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@ecxpa wrote:

I kind of agree. sure the prg is the preferred card for the myfico members. but me;. i don't think it is worth it after the first year. and since this is a long term relationship. i thought about it long and hard. that is exactly why i have my green card. as i would not like the high AF after the first year. my green card works just fine and since im not just into the bonus points only its ok. i don't think there would be a problem to downgrade back to your green you could even get the senior green which only has 40 AF. good luck. also EDP is better But ED has no AF. but credit card instead of charge. in the big picture of charge cards. i know many will Disagree. i think its best to just save and go with the green. unless you travel everyweek. or twice a week. then the platinum would be the way to go. But That 450 AF . Yikes. !!!!!!

Message 4 of 13
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@ecxpa wrote:

I kind of agree. sure the prg is the preferred card for the myfico members. but me;. i don't think it is worth it after the first year. and since this is a long term relationship. i thought about it long and hard. that is exactly why i have my green card. as i would not like the high AF after the first year. my green card works just fine and since im not just into the bonus points only its ok. i don't think there would be a problem to downgrade back to your green you could even get the senior green which only has 40 AF. good luck. also EDP is better But ED has no AF. but credit card instead of charge. in the big picture of charge cards. i know many will Disagree. i think its best to just save and go with the green. unless you travel everyweek. or twice a week. then the platinum would be the way to go. But That 450 AF . Yikes. !!!!!!

my theory on MR amex cards is if you don't travel much but do spend an fair amount gas and groceries and can hit the 30 spend min edp is an pretty good option, if not no af ed is really good option. Platinum is good if you spend an lot and travel an lot, 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 13
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Thankx for all the input........I called and cancelled the upgrade......not flying much these days....using my Truck and RV most of the time.  Even though the 2X points for gas looks great I get 3X points with my AARP.   Kinda like the old Green Goblin anywaySmiley LOL

Message 6 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@ecxpa wrote:

I kind of agree. sure the prg is the preferred card for the myfico members. but me;

MyFico has a lot of "momentum" (a.k.a blindly parroting stuff that may have once been true!) so at least some of the love for the PRG came from when there was no ED/EDP (and when it still had the 30K bonus).   Then, for those that could use bonus categories, with the sign up and first year free, it really was a much better choice than the green, and certainly than the trad gold.

I think though we are now seeing a lot more talk about ED/EDP

Message 7 of 13
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

I'm an AU on my DW ED card.....amex just won't gimme a revolver of my own.  Just tried for the Delta Skymiles and was declined........no more tries without and "offer" from them.

Message 8 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I def think the PRG is worth it IF (and only IF) you are able to get the 50k signup bonus. Other than for a sign up bonus, the ED/EDP cards are far superior, and I would say with the release of them (the ED/EDP) the PRG has become obsolete. 

Message 9 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

I def think the PRG is worth it IF (and only IF) you are able to get the 50k signup bonus. Other than for a sign up bonus, the ED/EDP cards are far superior, and I would say with the release of them (the ED/EDP) the PRG has become obsolete. 

Except for the 3x airfare

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.