Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Amex good to have?

I don't understand any of that stuff in that thread
Message 11 of 24
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I'll make this easy, if your interested in Amex, check out BCE and BCP they are blue cash and blue cash preferred see if those suit your needs. And while your there do a prequal and see what comes up.
Message 12 of 24
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't understand any of that stuff in that thread

Then don't worry about getting an Amex.

Message 13 of 24
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Lets put it this way. They are not what they used to be. IMO/

That being said if you travel and spend a lot, the perks are good.

I got a blue cash rewards card, no AF. The cash back rewards aren't to bad. 

RE: s it good to have an amex card...depends if you have use for any cards amex has.

It certainly doesn't hurt to have an "in" with amex, but there are no real benefits to amex itself. Some of its cards have good benefits, others aren't that great.

The back dating is also a good perk, as long as they keep doing that. 

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

amex is good to a decent company, most of the people on the phone are nice at least for me. As far as the cards go, they have some interesting cards but it will depend on what you are looking for.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't get any prequalified-offers
Message 16 of 24
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Is American express a good card to have if so what's the best one and how hard is it to get. My credit is excellent EX 738 TU 764 and EQ 751 a few inquirys on each and I have 3 new accounts within the last 6 months utl 1%

Looking at the cards in your signature, I don't see any Amex cashback cards giving you anything you don't already have.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 17 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@jeffery581 wrote:

Lets put it this way. They are not what they used to be. IMO/

That being said if you travel and spend a lot, the perks are good.

I got a blue cash rewards card, no AF. The cash back rewards aren't to bad. 

RE: s it good to have an amex card...depends if you have use for any cards amex has.

It certainly doesn't hurt to have an "in" with amex, but there are no real benefits to amex itself. Some of its cards have good benefits, others aren't that great.

The back dating is also a good perk, as long as they keep doing that. 

Good stuff in this post... I'll just point out that effective March 2015 backdating is 'officially' dead.

They'll still put a "backdated" member since date on the card, but it doesn't carry over to the credit bureaus.     rip.gif

Note that any card previously backdated at the credit bureaus has remained so (at least so far), with the exception of partner cards sold to another issuer, i.e. JetBlue and (most likely) Costco. 

It's confirmed that JetBlue accounts now with Barclays are reporting with the 'real' date they were originally opened with Amex (regardless of how they reported previously) and it's expected to be the same with the Costco Visa.

I missed my own BCP being backdated to 1995 by three weeks.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Is American express a good card to have if so what's the best one and how hard is it to get. My credit is excellent EX 738 TU 764 and EQ 751 a few inquirys on each and I have 3 new accounts within the last 6 months utl 1%

Hi Beavis.

Everything depends on what you're wanting.  I had Amex years ago when things were good for me, and then I lost it.  Since rebuilding, it has been my goal to get back in with them as it symbolizes something personal for me.  I have the ED card which is okay.  The BCP for me is better, and I will find out if the Platinum Card is really the premium card it advertises.  If you want it, go for it.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are looking for a travel card, Amex is the way to go. They have such a variety of products for that purpose, as well as cashback and other cards. The only thing about them is that most of their products do come with some kind of annual fee. Something to keep in mind. They do have some options like the BCE and the ED that are AF free, but if you are really looking to maximize rewards, you'll want to look at a card like the Premier Rewards Gold, one of their Airline Cards (i personally like their Delta cards), or something like the BCP if you want cashback. It all really depends on what your needs are though and how much spend you can put through their cards. If you are a relatively low spender, maybe Amex wouldn't necessarily be the best option. Good luck!

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.