cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Amex really utilization sensitive?

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Is Amex really utilization sensitive?

If you owe 3500 and pay only 35 dollars, that is going to be frowned upon by the bank, because they start to get worried if you are having issues paying back your debt. You can argue its 0% APR and your money is being invested somewhere to make more money, but to the bank they are losing money because they essentially loaned it out to you for 0% interests.

I would say pay at least 10% of your balance at the very least. You could always pay more, and swipe all your expenses onto that card instead of using cash or debit......that way you end up paying a lot, and using a lot. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 11 of 15
Bobert22
Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy

I think you'll be fine. I think what triggered the decline for him was the $35 payment he made. Just pay more than $35 Smiley Happy

When I get the BCP/BCE later this year I'm going to pay in full just to be on the safe side and not jeopardize my 3X CLi.
Capital One 2006--$5,000 ||| AMEX Macy's 2008--$2,300 ||| Kohl's 2009-- $1,000 ||| JCP 2010-- $1,000 ||| Walmart Discover 2010-- $5,000 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,600 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,500 ||| Chase Freedom 2012--$7,500 ||| Discover IT 2013 -- $4,000
||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 2013 -- $10,000

SCORES: EQ FICO: 787, EX FAKO: 801, TU FICO: 790 (Lender Pull)
Message 12 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah!
My min pmt is $35. I think it's so silly that it's so low!! my Citi Diamond min pmt is only $20 lol!!! Ive thought about only paying the minimum just to keep my bank account bigger, but my learned credit habits would never dare let me just make the minimum on any card for the month. The flexibility is nice when I need it; there have been times when I was like 19-20 when I could only pay the mins. Lol but if I paid $35 on a $3000 balance, even at 0%, I'd be in debt for nearly a decade!!!! Lol I also run every single expense/expenditure I have through my credit cards and just use my cash to pay the bills! Ive gotten almost $200 in statement credits from Amex so far!!
Oh and bobert- I pif'ed my first two Amex statements and did get the 3xcli!!!!! My fico was like 690'ish, and I opened a Discover the same month! Good luck!

Thanks again yall!!:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 13 of 15
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I knew I had read that somewhere!

If that happens to me, I will simply pay a large payment.

I never make just the min though. I always pay way more, if not pif.
Do you know like what percent of the balance his average payment was?
Im thinking if I pay at least 10-20% of the balance each month-that should keep me from getting a cli denial reason such as that.

Sounds like that was with barclays (apple financing) which is a whole different animal then american express

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 14 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Barclay's likes me so far. My Travelocity Amex with them has a high balance, however; it still got a cli too at 6 mos. It's at 3.99%!!! Lol How could I not? I get tempted by low rates.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.