Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is BOA considered a conservative lender

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is BOA considered a conservative lender

Does anyone think of them as a conservative lender? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Is BOA considered a conservative lender

Probably some will, but the majority will say that they are not at all. I personally would say they are the opposite of conservative. 

Message 2 of 10
stevenngu92
Contributor

In my experience it seems that they are conservative on starting CLs, but aren't later on when one decides to request a CLI (hard pull).

Amazon Store Card ($6000) Amex BCE ($10000) Amex PRG (NPSL) BofA Better Balance Rewards ($3000) Best Buy Store Card ($5000) Chase Freedom ($2500) Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7900) Citi Prestige ($5000) Discover It ($10500) Walmart Discover ($6000) Wells Fargo CB ($4700)
Message 3 of 10
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure if it's just different underwriting or what, but they have kindof been all over the place for me.  I had to take an HP for a CLI just to get me BofA Cash Rewards card up to 3.9k after 2 years of perfect payment history, but they gave me a starting limit of 5k on my Fidelity AMEX. 

Message 4 of 10
Gollum
Established Contributor

BoA was a primary player in the real-estate / financial collapse seven years ago, so I would not call it a conservative lender:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2014/08/21/bank-of-americas-16-65-billion-settlement-and-the... (August 21, 2014)

A conservative lender is a bank like Simmons First.

I would ask a local bank and/or local credit union if they can offer something comparable to whatever it is you are considering instead of a megabank (BoA, for instance).

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 5 of 10
baller4life
Super Contributor

Conservative? BOA? Not!
Message 6 of 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Gollum wrote:

BoA was a primary player in the real-estate / financial collapse seven years ago, so I would not call it a conservative lender:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2014/08/21/bank-of-americas-16-65-billion-settlement-and-the... (August 21, 2014)

A conservative lender is a bank like Simmons First.

I would ask a local bank and/or local credit union if they can offer something comparable to whatever it is you are considering instead of a megabank (BoA, for instance).

+1

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Certainly not with me.  I have 4 cards.  Smallest limit is $24,888, others much higher.  CSR is very spotty however.  Sometimes a request (

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone think of them as a conservative lender? 

PC for example) takes multiple calls or e mails.

Message 8 of 10
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Conservative on inquiries basically. Heard a lot about how generous they can be once you've established some history with them.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 9 of 10
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

@Gollum wrote:

A conservative lender is a bank like Simmons First

Have a agree here. I dont think they know the meaning of conservative. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/bank-of-america-too-crooked-to-fail-20120314

EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.