Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Bank of America forgiving

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Bank of America forgiving

Hello everyone,

My husband had a bank of america unsecured card that was charged off last year.  Does anyone know if they are forgiving?  Will they allow him to open a secured card once he pays his balance?  He has been a long standing account holder with BOA for over 8 years.  Anyone who knows anything would be great!!

He was asking me do i believe they will allow him to reopen the unsecured card, but i explained to him from reading this forum that I dont think so.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Bank of America forgiving

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

My husband had a bank of america unsecured card that was charged off last year.  Does anyone know if they are forgiving?  Will they allow him to open a secured card once he pays his balance?  He has been a long standing account holder with BOA for over 8 years.  Anyone who knows anything would be great!!

He was asking me do i believe they will allow him to reopen the unsecured card, but i explained to him from reading this forum that I dont think so.

They're certainly not known for it.

I charged off one of their cards about 7 years ago, paid up not too long after that and am still blacklisted with every application ending in no credit pulled and a shredded letter in my trash can.

Message 2 of 7
happypill
Valued Contributor

I settled two charged off cards with BofA in 2013; about $2k each, nothing too huge.  I applied for a secured card about 5-6 months ago and was denied without pull (most likely meaning black list).  I applied again last month and was denied again, but this time, armed with knowledge from myFICO, I called in for recon.  After some discussion with the CSR, she let me open a $300 secured card.

I'm not sure if this takes me off their black list.  Won't know that until I apply for an unsecured line, or maybe a year from know if they allow the secure card to graduate.  I believe others on the forum have pointed out that BofA doesn't take into account prior banking relationships with them.  I'm not sure if that is true, because I have substantial history with them, although I didn't have any active accounts before the secured card and they did allow me back with a secured line less than 2 years after settling.  I'll know more later I guess.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It might be tough,but if I were going to try this I would personally do it in the branch. Granted it might be a bit uncomfortable, but having it be personal and being able to explain the situation that caused the "mistake" might put some help in his corner.

Message 4 of 7
johnpalley
Established Contributor

guys if im being sent pre selected offers in the mail for a bofa credit card does that mean that im not blacklisted with them anymore? i have an unpaid charge off for $5,000 from about 8 years ago. they have been sending me offers for a little while now. fyi ive had a bank account with them  for about 5 years with a huge amount of transactions each month and handling that account perfectly. there the main bank i use and im thinking bacause of that they might be giving me another shot what do you guys think?

Message 5 of 7
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I had a secured card with them, which I put a lot of money through for a few years.  I was never late with it and paid it off in full when I simply got tired of them never graduating the card, even though they told me it would graduate after the first year.  Then a year or two after that I got two cards with them.  I defaulted on both and they went into collections.  The collection agency even went to court, which I never actually knew about one day until I deposited money into my BofA account.  I had wired money into the account and then transferred it out to another bank the next day.  They then tried to get the money, but I only ended up paying the fee that goes along with that process!  Later, they got the money from the other account, I guess they figured out I had the money to pay the collections.  I thought it was a bit suspicious that I put the money in BofA and that is how they started going after the money, I am CERTAIN there was no collusion there.  (sarcasm!)  The collections company also then tried to settle for the exact amount which I had available on a credit card.  I called that credit card and found out that they had a record of me calling a few days before, which I certainly did not do on that day.  Collections companies breaking the law by impersonating me?  Anyway, I settled for less than they wanted, so it got paid off.

Last year, when there was a fairly good cash back on signup, I applied for a BofA card!  I think I have better rewards than that card offers!  I did want the cash back and that was it.  I got the cash back and SD'd the card. 

I did have the excellent payment hisory with the first card and charge off on the other two, but I still got the card, so it might depend on a few things.  It might have been because of the first cards payment history. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 6 of 7
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

It depends on the individual.

Try apping for the secured card, but don't do it often, due to HP's.

You'd know based on the results and letter from 'em stating the reasons of denial, and then work on that.

He may get the 99/500 on a fine day, if nothing else.

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.