cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Barclay sensitive to just new credit cards?

tag
Viper786
Regular Contributor

Is Barclay sensitive to just new credit cards?

I just got approved for the Barclaycard ring on monday and I know barclay is very sensitive about new accounts. Does this also include auto loans? I may be getting an auto loan next week and was wondering if barclay would care??

EQ - 701 FICO - ScoreWatch (8/2016) | TU - 754 FICO - Fico 8 (8/2016) | EX - 710 Fico - Fico 8 (8/2016)
Amazon Store Card - $10,000 | Amex BCE - $2k | Barclaycard Ring - $2.5k | Capital One Platinum - $7,500 | Capital One Venture - $10,000 | Capital One VentureOne - $7500 | Chase Freedom - $3.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred - $1500 | Discover It - $4200 | Ebates Visa - $25,000 | Macy's - $1700 | Lowes - $12,000 | Walmart MasterCard - $15,000
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is Barclay sensitive to just new credit cards?

New accounts YES within the 1st 6 months. Auto loan I wouldnt be worry about. I got Barclays 3 months ago and they soft my C/R.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 2 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congrats! I was contemplating the Ring, but opted for the Rewards MC. Barclay's has been good to me, knock wood. I don't think you'll have a problem w/an auto loan at all.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 9
perfectuniverse1
Established Member

Well Im going to have some trouble because I applied for them last.  And their account hit my CR already.   At some point in the next month Chase  Freedom, NFCU Platinum, NFCU Cash Rewards, Capital One Cash Rewards and potentially a Chase SWA Visa (pending) will hit my account.  Im guessing they will be closing my account.  Which I wouldnt mind sort of.  Its only $500 CL and the next lowest was $2.3K.  But I did take a hard pull and Im not sure how that will look on my credit report.  An account immediately closed only after one month.   Would I have to petition to get the acount completely removed if that happens?

Message 4 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@perfectuniverse1 wrote:

Well Im going to have some trouble because I applied for them last.  And their account hit my CR already.   At some point in the next month Chase  Freedom, NFCU Platinum, NFCU Cash Rewards, Capital One Cash Rewards and potentially a Chase SWA Visa (pending) will hit my account.  Im guessing they will be closing my account.  Which I wouldnt mind sort of.  Its only $500 CL and the next lowest was $2.3K.  But I did take a hard pull and Im not sure how that will look on my credit report.  An account immediately closed only after one month.   Would I have to petition to get the acount completely removed if that happens?

That's a lot of new accts to open at once. I got Barclay's apple in November and apped after I was approved for Walmart & NFCU, but the NFCU didn't show up on CR for a month or so -- which was after I got Barclay's. I was a little concerned, but thankfully everything is fine. I'm concerned again because I just upgraded my GE Old Navy store card to a visa, which hasn't reported on TU yet. I'm hoping my low util will keep everything okay.

Just pray you fly under the radar and keep your util as low as you can. IMO, I think that is one of the things that concerns them. If util is higher (even 30%) and you're apping for a bunch of cards, I think it's a red flag. If your util is low (under 10%) and you get some new CCs, it doesn't look like you're in financial trouble as much as just getting new cards, maybe for rewards or something. Hopefully that makes sense! Smiley Happy

Not much you can do about it now. Just keep your fingers crossed and your util low. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 9
android01
Valued Contributor

I keep seeing threads about people who apply for credit and then are afraid to use it (AMEX), or apply for credit and are afraid that some other creditor is going to do something in response (Barclays).  I don't understand this line of thought.  Can someone please explain this so I can?

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 6 of 9
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

@android01 wrote:

I keep seeing threads about people who apply for credit and then are afraid to use it (AMEX), or apply for credit and are afraid that some other creditor is going to do something in response (Barclays).  I don't understand this line of thought.  Can someone please explain this so I can?

Eh, well, Sears card just credit limit decreased my husbands card. His utilization is better than it has ever been, but, they insisted on using a soft pull from two months ago to make that decision. We called 4 times, one time the customer service rep said it was because of inquiries and new account. Though, hey, each time we got a different answer.. lol

It seems like some lenders are  the type that take their toys and go home if you get another card or a few more inquiries. Which wouldn't be a big deal, it's just the way they do it. His credit would've dropped drastically if that card would've reported maxed out thanks to their credit limit decrease. I'm sure we won't get the letter about it until after the statement date. I wonder how his new Amex account would've reacted to him being maxed out on his only other nonstore card? I bet they would've closed it. Lots of card companies will close a new account if something adverse happens to the customers credit score. Then he goes from entering prime territory to stuck back in rebuilder with not a thing changing on his end. I think that incidences like that cause paranoia. American Express for me is worth the risk, but I don't think I would bother with Barclays now.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 7 of 9
android01
Valued Contributor

@JenniferinFL wrote:

@android01 wrote:

Eh, well, Sears card just credit limit decreased my husbands card. His utilization is better than it has ever been, but, they insisted on using a soft pull from two months ago to make that decision. We called 4 times, one time the customer service rep said it was because of inquiries and new account. Though, hey, each time we got a different answer.. lol

It seems like some lenders are  the type that take their toys and go home if you get another card or a few more inquiries. Which wouldn't be a big deal, it's just the way they do it. His credit would've dropped drastically if that card would've reported maxed out thanks to their credit limit decrease. I'm sure we won't get the letter about it until after the statement date. I wonder how his new Amex account would've reacted to him being maxed out on his only other nonstore card? I bet they would've closed it. Lots of card companies will close a new account if something adverse happens to the customers credit score. Then he goes from entering prime territory to stuck back in rebuilder with not a thing changing on his end. I think that incidences like that cause paranoia. American Express for me is worth the risk, but I don't think I would bother with Barclays now.

Thanks for the explanation!  So my next question would be why would anyone want to keep that kind of relationship in the first place?  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 8 of 9
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the explanation!  So my next question would be why would anyone want to keep that kind of relationship in the first place?  

Now, that's a good question. My husband had planned on keeping his Sears card because it's one of his older accounts and he has a very short credit history. It doesn't have an annual fee, so, it used to make sense to keep it. He also is very light on revolving nonstore accounts. As nasty as they are, I think he should still try to keep them for another couple years. Of course, knowing what we do now, I would never let a balance report on it since his credit limit could be changed at any time. It also really stresses the need for a varied set of credit cards held longterm.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.