Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Barclays a "Prime" Lender

tag
brcamacho
Regular Contributor

Is Barclays a "Prime" Lender

Just curious where Barclays falls in the hierarchy of banks.

It would be cool if there was a list somewhere.

TU-688 5/14 (WM TU) | EX-692 on 2/14 (FNBO EX) | EQ-666 on 01/13

NFCU GoRewards $25k | NavChek $15k | Chase Slate 7.5k
Barclays Rewards $3.4k | FNBO MC $2.3K | Cap1 Plat $1.9k
Cap1 Quicksilver $1.7k | Wmt Discover $4.5k | Amazon Store Card $3k Care Credit $3.5k | Kohls $300 | Victoria's Secret $500
Cap1 Quicksilver $2k | Barclays Apple Visa $600

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Is Barclays a "Prime" Lender

I would say yes.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 9
swpopham
Established Contributor

Middle of the chain... imo
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 3 of 9
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@swpopham wrote:

I guess it all depends on what you mean by prime!

IMO, most big banks have a mixture of cards.  Some banks started in different places, so Capital One is more associated with "subprime" but has a number of prime cards.  Other banks have a reputation as being very conservative about granting credit, e.g. PenFed, so some might consider them more prime than others.

Amex gives low CL card to fairly low scorers, and very high (internal or external) CLs to good scorers, but people tend to ignore the lower end stuff and consider them prime.

I suspect the best definition of "prime" on this forum is "A bank that gave me a card I am proud of" (and of course pride is determined by the user's impression of prime).

Re Barclays: Very big bank in the UK, lots of recent trouble with US/UK regulators, LIBOR scandal and CA Energy equity manipulations.  So actually a near criminal enterprise, but that doesn't necessarily impact their US credit cards!

Message 4 of 9
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

I would say yes.  

Agreed. Altho I'm sure it depends on what card of their's you have and/or are seeking.

Message 5 of 9
brcamacho
Regular Contributor

I was thinking about appin gfor there Rewards card as a step up from my Capital One/HSBC cards.  I guess use it more like a step towards a Amex in the future.

TU-688 5/14 (WM TU) | EX-692 on 2/14 (FNBO EX) | EQ-666 on 01/13

NFCU GoRewards $25k | NavChek $15k | Chase Slate 7.5k
Barclays Rewards $3.4k | FNBO MC $2.3K | Cap1 Plat $1.9k
Cap1 Quicksilver $1.7k | Wmt Discover $4.5k | Amazon Store Card $3k Care Credit $3.5k | Kohls $300 | Victoria's Secret $500
Cap1 Quicksilver $2k | Barclays Apple Visa $600

Message 6 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

I would agree middle of the road, they don't have any cards I know of that are really good, and considering my friend with a 520 score still has her barclay card open I would say not prime =p

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 7 of 9
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

@swpopham wrote:

This, 

Message 8 of 9
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

I would agree middle of the road, they don't have any cards I know of that are really good

What do you mean!  If you are willing to move:

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Creditcards/P1242557963445

"For a limited time, while stocks last, a free Mr B toy once your application is approved"    Priceless.

Very fancy rewards structure:

• You’ll get 2% cashback on your 5 biggest purchases each month when you use your card a minimum of 15 times over the month
  • And you’ll earn 0.5% cashback on everything else you buy
  • It’s the only card that says ‘hello’ with a 6% welcome bonus. Earn up to £120 on your 5 biggest purchases in each of your first 3 months
  • You’ll also get a 4% ‘thank you’ bonus every year on your top 5 purchases in the month after your card anniversary
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.