Regular Contributor
brcamacho

Is Barclays a "Prime" Lender

Just curious where Barclays falls in the hierarchy of banks.

It would be cool if there was a list somewhere.

TU-688 5/14 (WM TU) | EX-692 on 2/14 (FNBO EX) | EQ-666 on 01/13

NFCU GoRewards $25k | NavChek $15k | Chase Slate 7.5k
Barclays Rewards $3.4k | FNBO MC $2.3K | Cap1 Plat $1.9k
Cap1 Quicksilver $1.7k | Wmt Discover $4.5k | Amazon Store Card $3k Care Credit $3.5k | Kohls $300 | Victoria's Secret $500
Cap1 Quicksilver $2k | Barclays Apple Visa $600

Valued Contributor
visorboy1974

Re: Is Barclays a "Prime" Lender

I would say yes.  

Established Contributor
swpopham

Middle of the chain... imo
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Valued Contributor
bs6054

swpopham wrote:

I guess it all depends on what you mean by prime!

IMO, most big banks have a mixture of cards.  Some banks started in different places, so Capital One is more associated with "subprime" but has a number of prime cards.  Other banks have a reputation as being very conservative about granting credit, e.g. PenFed, so some might consider them more prime than others.

Amex gives low CL card to fairly low scorers, and very high (internal or external) CLs to good scorers, but people tend to ignore the lower end stuff and consider them prime.

I suspect the best definition of "prime" on this forum is "A bank that gave me a card I am proud of" (and of course pride is determined by the user's impression of prime).

Re Barclays: Very big bank in the UK, lots of recent trouble with US/UK regulators, LIBOR scandal and CA Energy equity manipulations.  So actually a near criminal enterprise, but that doesn't necessarily impact their US credit cards!

Established Contributor
UFGuy2006

visorboy1974 wrote:

I would say yes.  

Agreed. Altho I'm sure it depends on what card of their's you have and/or are seeking.

FICO: EX: 743 (10/14); TU: 758 (9/14); EQ 721 (9/14)

In My Wallet: Amex X 5 | Barclays X 3 | BOA X 1 | CapOne X 3 | Chase X 3 | Citi X 7 | DCU X 1 | Discover X 1 | Fidelity X 1 | Fifth Third X 1 | Macys X 1 | PenFed X 1 | PSECU X 1 | Sams Club MC X 1 | Target RedCard X 1 | USAA X 2 | US Bank X 1 | Walmart X 1 | Wells Fargo X 1 = 36 Cards

Holding off apps until the end of the year! Wish me luck!
Regular Contributor
brcamacho

I was thinking about appin gfor there Rewards card as a step up from my Capital One/HSBC cards.  I guess use it more like a step towards a Amex in the future.

TU-688 5/14 (WM TU) | EX-692 on 2/14 (FNBO EX) | EQ-666 on 01/13

NFCU GoRewards $25k | NavChek $15k | Chase Slate 7.5k
Barclays Rewards $3.4k | FNBO MC $2.3K | Cap1 Plat $1.9k
Cap1 Quicksilver $1.7k | Wmt Discover $4.5k | Amazon Store Card $3k Care Credit $3.5k | Kohls $300 | Victoria's Secret $500
Cap1 Quicksilver $2k | Barclays Apple Visa $600

Established Contributor
distantarray

I would agree middle of the road, they don't have any cards I know of that are really good, and considering my friend with a 520 score still has her barclay card open I would say not prime =p

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Frequent Contributor
AF_23

swpopham wrote:

This, 

Valued Contributor
bs6054

distantarray wrote:

I would agree middle of the road, they don't have any cards I know of that are really good

What do you mean!  If you are willing to move:

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Creditcards/P1242557963445

"For a limited time, while stocks last, a free Mr B toy once your application is approved"    Priceless.

Very fancy rewards structure:

• You’ll get 2% cashback on your 5 biggest purchases each month when you use your card a minimum of 15 times over the month
  • And you’ll earn 0.5% cashback on everything else you buy
  • It’s the only card that says ‘hello’ with a 6% welcome bonus. Earn up to £120 on your 5 biggest purchases in each of your first 3 months
  • You’ll also get a 4% ‘thank you’ bonus every year on your top 5 purchases in the month after your card anniversary

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}