DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Is Barclays considered a prime lender?

?? Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Is Barclays considered a prime lender?

There's no such thing as a "prime" lender for credit cards. There are however credit products targeted towards people with "prime" and "subprime" credit, for example.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 13
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

In my opinion they are a lender that will grow with you. Unlike Cap1's rebuilding cards. If I had to make a call middle

of the road would be my choice. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 13
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

+1 @ enharu..sorry cannot quote on ipad
Also I think we should select the cards that fit our needs and profiles and not because of the lender....
Message 4 of 13
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:
@+1 @ enharu..sorry cannot quote on ipad
Also I think we should select the cards that fit our needs and profiles and not because of the lender....

Lenders are pretty important to me. It's one of the elemnets that I will consider when I apply for cards. Good customer service is another element for me to consider.

Message 5 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

How do you differentiate between a good and bad lender, especially if they have products that cater to people with not-as-good credit? Even American Express has product(s) that cater to people who have downright horrible credit (oasis program). Does this mean Amex is a subprime lender?

Another thing to note is that most lenders have a tiered customer service system. Depending on your internal score, which is influenced by many factors including profitability, spending, risk, etc. and also the type of product you have, that will influence the tier, and sometimes location, of customer service reps that will be answering your calls. One may have horrible customer service experience with chase, citi and Amex simply because they have a cheaper, not-as-good product and low internal score which in turn resulted in horrible misinformed improperly trained CSRs.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 13
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
How do you differentiate between a good and bad lender, especially if they have products that cater to people with not-as-good credit? Even American Express has product(s) that cater to people who have downright horrible credit (oasis program). Does this mean Amex is a subprime lender?

Another thing to note is that most lenders have a tiered customer service system. Depending on your internal score, which is influenced by many factors including profitability, spending, risk, etc. and also the type of product you have, that will influence the tier, and sometimes location, of customer service reps that will be answering your calls. One may have horrible customer service experience with chase, citi and Amex simply because they have a cheaper, not-as-good product and low internal score which in turn resulted in horrible misinformed improperly trained CSRs.

This, all of this.

Cap1 gets flaunted as a sub prime lender, but they also serve the prime crowd.  If the Venture is right for you, is it not socially acceptable to use the Venture?  We tend to try and differentiate between bad and good too often here.  There are way too many variables in both product and customer to determine something so black and white.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 7 of 13
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Jutz wrote:

@enharu wrote:

This, all of this.

Cap1 gets flaunted as a sub prime lender, but they also serve the prime crowd.  If the Venture is right for you, is it not socially acceptable to use the Venture?  We tend to try and differentiate between bad and good too often here.  There are way too many variables in both product and customer to determine something so black and white.

Agreed. I don't care if it's "socially acceptable" to use my Venture; if it gives me the best bang for my buck from making a purchase, than that's what I use.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

While it doesn't impact "prime or non-prime" question (which as others have said doesn't really mean anything), I guess a lot of US people aren't aware of what Barclays is.  

In 2012, it was the world's 7th biggest bank by assets, bigger than any US bank (JP Morgan Chase and Bank of America were 9th and 10th).  There are many other measures of bank size, such as market capitalization, which puts Barclays lower, but by any standard it is a major global bank, not a First Premier or Credit One type of operation.  

http://www.gfmag.com/tools/best-banks/11986-worlds-50-biggest-banks-2012.html#axzz2RlGUpWAO

(It has also been involved in a number of major wrong doings, such as LIBOR rigging and manipulating CA energy futures, but that is to be expected!)

Message 9 of 13
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ digitalark
then you have answered your own question Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.