cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is BoA Travel Rewards better than Cash Rewards 1-2-3?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is BoA Travel Rewards better than Cash Rewards 1-2-3?

@creditguy wrote:
If your going to keep your card after graduation, you'll have to PC it to something to make it worthwhile, in that case why not just PC to a cash rewards and max out the gas and grocery segments and use DC for everything else. Not a perfect souloution but this way your not losing anything by not using the DC and your building history and a usage pattern with BofA, then just apply for the BofA card you want such as a BBR after some history.

Good solution creditguy.

Message 11 of 20
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish I could PC to the AAA card. But it's co-branded, so not likely possible. 

Seems nice to have 3% back on travel and AAA purchases, and 2% back on gas, grocery, and drug store purchases + no foreign transaction fees. 

Call and ask, you never know. I would say it's unlikely but stranger things have happened. BOA PC policies change often.

AAA is a nice card with no FTF and you can redeem for straight cash.

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:
If your going to keep your card after graduation, you'll have to PC it to something to make it worthwhile, in that case why not just PC to a cash rewards and max out the gas and grocery segments and use DC for everything else. Not a perfect souloution but this way your not losing anything by not using the DC and your building history and a usage pattern with BofA, then just apply for the BofA card you want such as a BBR after some history.

I won't max out the gas and grocery categories. I'm single, and I drive a gas sipper

I probably spend around $100 or so a month at the grocery store, and $100 or so a month on gas. 

If I purchased gift cards at gas stations and grocery stores, would that count towards the 2% and 3% categories? 

^^That's cuteSmiley Happy

Message 13 of 20
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I really think Bank of America needs to release cards similar to the Chase Sapphire cards. 

I wonder how much I can get out of buying gift cards every month? I also forgot to mention it could be more than $100 a month on gas if I routinely stop by and get food, snacks, and drinks from my local Speedway. I could do $150 or so per month at gas stations (before gift cards) and then $100 at the grocery store (before gift cards). 

They could release a card like Chase sapphires, but they won't and really don't have to because they do their own thing and appear to be fine doing so. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in inflated spending to redeem rewards, just go about your daily life and spend as normal, I'd especially be cautious in buying gift cards outside of the occasional one here or there. 

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Completely forgot about the wholesale clubs too, like Costco, which is near my place of residence. 

In this case, I could go up to the quarterly maximum. 

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish I could PC to the AAA card. But it's co-branded, so not likely possible. 

Seems nice to have 3% back on travel and AAA purchases, and 2% back on gas, grocery, and drug store purchases + no foreign transaction fees. 

If you travel the 3% back on AAA & travel purchases and no FTF are nice. You can use your Double Cash for everything else. You could always apply for the AAA and once your secured card graduates possibly transfer it's credit limit to the other card.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Completely forgot about the wholesale clubs too, like Costco, which is near my place of residence. 

Don't forget to account for the annual membership with Costco. Do the math. 

If you're not interested in any of the products BoA offers except AAA, why did you apply now? Why didn't you wait until your credit profile was better and then apply for the card you really want?

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're not interested in any of the products BoA offers except AAA, why did you apply now? Why didn't you wait until your credit profile was better and then apply for the card you really want?

Never said I'm not interested. Trying to figure out what everyone thinks by which card is best from a particular lender. 

Message 18 of 20
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Never said I'm not interested. Trying to figure out what everyone thinks by which card is best from a particular lender. 

The term best card is subjective since everyones needs and desires in a card are different. Some people like to travel, some people like straight cash back and some have a mix in between. You'll never reach a consensus on what's the best, only what's best for you. I wouldn't waste too much time thinking about it at this point. Let the card graduate first then think about it. BofA could release something new by then anyway and this conversation will be moot. 

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The term best card is subjective since everyones needs and desires in a card are different. Some people like to travel, some people like straight cash back and some have a mix in between. You'll never reach a consensus on what's the best, only what's best for you. I wouldn't waste too much time thinking about it at this point. Let the card graduate first then think about it. BofA could release something new by then anyway and this conversation will be moot. 

Yes, I think one with annual fee and good travel benefits would be great. 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.