cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Chase bad with credit limits and increases?

tag
itsxluigi
New Contributor

Is Chase bad with credit limits and increases?

Here's a quick breakdown of my current credit cards....

Capital One Platinum - Started: $500 - Current: $2000 (7 years old)

Chase Amazon VISA - Started: $1000 - still $1000 (about 3 years old)

AmEx Blue Cash - Started: $2000 - Current: $6000 (5ish months old)

Discover IT - Started: $4800 - still $4800 (about 2 weeks after the AmEx, just for the FICO)

My routine is use the AmEx for everything, and use the Amazon Visa for everywhere AmEx isn't accepted. I want to start just using one card, so I figured I'd check out the Chase Freedom. I applied for it, and got approved at a $500 limit O.o. Is this something I can expect out of Chase? Horrible limits? No increases like the Chase Amazon? I was hoping the Amazon one was just because it's not one of the big Chase cards. Is it even worth it to use the Freedom? Or just stick with my current routine.

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Is Chase bad with credit limits and increases?

I wouldn't say i have had best luck with my freedom cli, I was able to get an auto sp cli back in january. I opened card in september wasn't an huge cli but was an auto sp one , so i was surprised. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 35
itsxluigi
New Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I wouldn't say i have had best luck with my freedom cli, I was able to get an auto sp cli back in january. I opened card in september wasn't an huge cli but was an auto sp one , so i was surprised. 

I'm reading some older threads, and threads on other sites right now. Most people are saying $300 increases every once in a while, and not that often. By the time I reach even what I STARTED AT with my Discover, it'll be years. I want to use just one card, make my wallet a little lighter, have less statements to reconcile, but I just can't see it being worth it. Not with this card. With the usage I put on my cards, I'll have to make 5-6 payments a month, when I can just make 1 with my AmEx.

Message 3 of 35
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Maybe Chase don't like you lol. I have the amazon Visa at $500 and just got accepted for the Freedom with a $3500 limit

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 4 of 35
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Chase rarely gives auto-CLIs, and nearly all CLI you request result in a HP.   Those who do get autos are those that start with a low CL (so if you start with $500, you might get some up to some figure, if you start with $5K, much less likely)

What people have found, which goes against your wish for a lighter wallet, is it is better to apply for another Chase card (and maybe transferl CL) than attempt to get CLIs.

Message 5 of 35
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Chase doesn't seem to be over generous with Amazon and Freedom limits.  CSP, Hyatt, Marriott, UA Club are some they seem more generous with.  As for CLI, you have to really use your limit before they hand out more credit.

Message 6 of 35
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Chase doesn't seem to be over generous with Amazon and Freedom limits.  CSP, Hyatt, Marriott, UA Club are some they seem more generous with.  As for CLI, you have to really use your limit before they hand out more credit.

At least the CSP has a higher level of UW, so the higher limits might be part of that.   Also, as with most things credit, YMMV, my first Chase card was Chase Amazon, and they gave me $25K (back in 2004) which was my 2nd highest limit.

Message 7 of 35
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Then I guess no CLI for me in the near future lol. Don't have $3500 to go spend freely every month to just make me use my Credit with them lol

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 8 of 35
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@B335is wrote:

At least the CSP has a higher level of UW, so the higher limits might be part of that.   Also, as with most things credit, YMMV, my first Chase card was Chase Amazon, and they gave me $25K (back in 2004) which was my 2nd highest limit.

That's got to be the highest Amazon limit I've seen.  Mine has been stuck at $3k for years regardless of the usage.  I agree with your previous post about applying for a new card to achieve better results with them.

Message 9 of 35
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@B335is wrote:

That's got to be the highest Amazon limit I've seen.  Mine has been stuck at $3k for years regardless of the usage.  I agree with your previous post about applying for a new card to achieve better results with them.

Pre-crash, when things were easier!

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.