Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Chase known to be Hard Pull Happy??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Chase known to be Hard Pull Happy??

So I apped for the Chase Freedom. Instant approval 1k CL. Kind of crappy considering I run almost 2.5k per month through my AMEX but this is my first revolver acct so I figured I'd take it. Anyhow, they are going hard pull happy... On 8/10 the day I app'd they HP'd Transunion, also on 8/10 FIRST USA (which I read is also Chase) pulled Experian. No big deal. Now, today (8/14) Chase HP'd Transunion again. Just seems excessive... are they known to HP so much when opening an account?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is Chase known to be Hard Pull Happy??

I as only hp once with them. You said this was your first revolver though so maybe they were just covering all bases before accepting you. Idk why they would pull 4 days after though. TU isn't always the fastest at reporting. Maybe it was just a delayed inquiry report from the day you apped

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 2 of 14
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I apped for the Chase Freedom. Instant approval 1k CL. Kind of crappy considering I run almost 2.5k per month through my AMEX but this is my first revolver acct so I figured I'd take it. Anyhow, they are going hard pull happy... On 8/10 the day I app'd they HP'd Transunion, also on 8/10 FIRST USA (which I read is also Chase) pulled Experian. No big deal. Now, today (8/14) Chase HP'd Transunion again. Just seems excessive... are they known to HP so much when opening an account?

I think it depends.  Chase is known to pull single inquries from all three CB's but occasionally, perhaps based on product they will pull an extra CB.  I got hit with inquiries on both EX and TU when I was approved for my British Airways Signature Visa a few weeks a go, then again it was a $20K approval, though I have noticed a trend with the co-branded cards that in many cases they`ll pull two CB's. YMMMV

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have always been a long time lurker (3+ years) but finally decided to join since building my credit has become my new hobby. I was hoping you would say they were re-evaluating my profile to possibly increase the credit line Smiley Happy but now it just sounds like they wanted to see if I went on an app spree and tried to get a lot of cards at once.

I never really plan to app spree, I obtained my Zync (used it for EVERYTHING I could) 2 years  ago and upgraded it to PRG (to get the more valuable version of the MR points plus 2x on gas and groceries) a few days before I app'd for the Freedom card. After getting approved for the PRG, I figured I should probably get a revolver account. I probably should have just went with another AMEX like BCE (probably would have gotten a better CL), but decided since I didn't have a visa/mc it would be benificial to get one for the few places that wont take my amex. In 6 months I will app for the BCE hoping they will give me a gernerous CL with knowing my current spending habits.

Currently I hold an AMEX PRG (NPSL), AMEX Zync (NPSL, plan on keeping it for the home pack since I have a house and like to do things), & Chase Freedom (1k CL). I also hold an auto loan at 12k (@ 0.9%) and student loans at 45k (started at 80k). I have a credit report clean as a whistle with no lates with an AAoA of 6.5 years. My scores are currently sitting around between 690-720 (non Fico). Probably low due to the student loans, but I have been paying them off as quickly as possible with even closing some of the accounts. Do you think I am headed in the right direction? Any suggestions on next moves?

Message 4 of 14
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

While I can see them pulling both TU and EX once for your app, I would be troubled by the second HP on TU. Are you sure it was a second HP and not a fluke of how TU updates? I have seen HP's come and go on TU so it is possible the same happended in your case. If there was a second HP you should be able to have it removed, since it wasn't authorized.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OhioCPA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While I can see them pulling both TU and EX once for your app, I would be troubled by the second HP on TU. Are you sure it was a second HP and not a fluke of how TU updates? I have seen HP's come and go on TU so it is possible the same happended in your case. If there was a second HP you should be able to have it removed, since it wasn't authorized.

Here is how they appear in my Equifax Alerts:

08/10/2012 TransUnion- Inquiry

An inquiry was made by CHASE for your credit file.

08/10/2012

Experian- Inquiry

An inquiry was made by FIRST USA,NA for your credit file.

08/14/2012

TransUnion- Inquiry

An inquiry was made by CHASE for your credit file.

Message 6 of 14
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey!

I'd be concerned about the HP a few days later.  I'd definitely get a copy of my TU report to make sure there is no hanky panky going on.  I suspect that TU just pulled their usual disappearing act with a HP then put it back on a few days later.  Been known to happen.  Is it Score Watch that's giving you the alert?  Anyway, I'd still check it out asap.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Hey!

I'd be concerned about the HP a few days later.  I'd definitely get a copy of my TU report to make sure there is no hanky panky going on.  I suspect that TU just pulled their usual disappearing act with a HP then put it back on a few days later.  Been known to happen.  Is it Score Watch that's giving you the alert?  Anyway, I'd still check it out asap.

I have Equifax Complete. The inq came through as an alert. What will getting my TU report help with at this point other than it just telling me about the inquiry (is this where I would see if it were a TU dissapearing act)?

Message 8 of 14
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Well for one- you can dispute it as a possible duplicate inq. Second- could be identity theft. Seems odd to me that they would pull twice. Your report should be free if you didn't get the best terms with regards to APR. just curious- did you hard app or respond to a card offer from Chase?

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 9 of 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I probably would have done Amex first and cli to get initial limits up.  Well always can do Amex later.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.