Drew
Frequent Contributor

Is Citi Double Cash the best 2% card?

Go!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is Citi Double Cash the best 2% card?

Fid Amex 2% IMO.  

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since I don't want to open a Fidelity account, it's the best 2% option for me. 

Message 3 of 25
uswala
Senior Contributor

I would say its better than Fidelity Amex in the sense that Mastercard has more acceptance then Amex. 

Like even here in Houston I regularly shop from some local businesses which do not accept Amex. 

Message 4 of 25
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Other than Fidelity Amex, are there any other 2% on everything cards in existence (that can still be applied for, not the ones that have been nerfed like Priceline)? YMMV but I would like this Double Cash as a MasterCard would have more acceptance and you don't have to jump through any hoops. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

QS is also competes with the double cash back card as it is only 0.5% less and the cashback builds up instantly and you don't have to wait untill the statement closes, also you can redeem whenever you want. you get the 1.5% up front unlike city where you get 1% for purchases and 1% for payments, not that its a problem if you PIF, but if you do need to make a big purchase at least you get the full cashback right away.

Message 6 of 25
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

Other than Fidelity Amex, are there any other 2% on everything cards in existence (that can still be applied for, not the ones that have been nerfed like Priceline)? YMMV but I would like this Double Cash as a MasterCard would have more acceptance and you don't have to jump through any hoops. 

Yes, there's the Orbitz Visa, which gives you 5% on Orbitz bookings and 2% on everything else in Orbucks. The card has no AF and no FTF. So pretty good that way. The only problem is that your rewards are in Orbucks, and although Orbucks earned from the card do not expire, you can only use it for hotel bookings on Orbitz.

The Orbitz Visa does have an advantage over the Double Cash, however. There are no minimum thresholds for redemption. With each statement, your Orbucks are transferred to your Orbitz account, and you can use it whenever you want, no matter how little Orbucks you have. The Double Cash requires you to rack up at least $25 in rewards before you can redeem.

Message 7 of 25
JustinS
Regular Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

Unless someone else knows of any I don't believe there is any other 2% on everything besides fidelity amex and citi double cash. I just picked up a double cash myself recently and it seems like a decent card.

Message 8 of 25
JustinS
Regular Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@Callandra wrote:

Yes, there's the Orbitz Visa, which gives you 5% on Orbitz bookings and 2% on everything else in Orbucks. The card has no AF and no FTF. So pretty good that way. The only problem is that your rewards are in Orbucks, and although Orbucks earned from the card do not expire, you can only use it for hotel bookings on Orbitz.

The Orbitz Visa does have an advantage over the Double Cash, however. There are no minimum thresholds for redemption. With each statement, your Orbucks are transferred to your Orbitz account, and you can use it whenever you want, no matter how little Orbucks you have. The Double Cash requires you to rack up at least $25 in rewards before you can redeem.

Sounds like a good deal but not having an Orbitz myself I have to pose the question can it be redeemed as true cashback via check or direct ach deposit? Or are we talking apples to oranges that it can only be used for Orbitz's website (which I'm guessing is the case)?

Message 9 of 25
core
Valued Contributor

2.5% if you have an older Payal debit card, SmartConnect, + Discover.  Or 2.0% if your PP account is new.  $1k/mo cap but since it's only for the misc category spend I find it adequate.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.