cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Citi Double Cash the best 2% card?

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Is Citi Double Cash the best 2% card?

Edit: Never mind, previous post was bad math. Sorry!

Message 11 of 25
yfan
Valued Contributor

@JustinS wrote:

Sounds like a good deal but not having an Orbitz myself I have to pose the question can it be redeemed as true cashback via check or direct ach deposit? Or are we talking apples to oranges that it can only be used for Orbitz's website (which I'm guessing is the case)?

No, it cannot be redeemed for cash, statement credit or anything other than hotel bookings through Orbitz. I thought I made that pretty clear in the previous post. That's the restrictions with the Orbitz card. Now, it's apples and oranges if you are looking to redeem via a cash mean, but if you would be booking hotels anyway, the Orbucks are as good as cash.

Message 12 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Between the two major 2%s, Double Cash and Fidelity Amex, I think the pros and cons are fairly well understood.

Fidelity Amex:  Advantage in lower FTF (but not 0) and 2% paid at statement close, not 1% + 1% after payment

DC: Greater acceptance, lower threshold ($25 vs $50)

I think for most that can get both, the DC is now a better choice, providing you have another card for 0% FTF if that is needed.

There are other choices that are nearly equivalent if you spend a lot, such as NASA (2% after $2000)

And then for those in the right area there is the 3% JCB card

Message 13 of 25
yfan
Valued Contributor

longtimelurker wrote: 

And then for those in the right area there is the 3% JCB card

Just to be clear, the JCB card has an annual fee and the rewards are not uniform. The 3% cashback is only for spending above $3,000. For spend of $1000 or below, the cashback is 1%, and between 1K and 3K, 2%.

Message 14 of 25
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Right now my 2% CB card is the Arrival+.   Next month, I hope to upgrade to the BoA TR cards.  Depending on your relationship bonus with BoA, it returns 1.5%/1.65%/1.875%/2.25% or 2.65% CB.   It will allow me to downgrade to the no AF version or close my Arrival before the AF kicks in next year.

I would have been perfectly happy with the Citi DC, too.  But the TR gives an effective sign up bonus of $175, no FTF or AF and the extra 0.65% CB.  For me the 0.65% extra is worth needing travel expenses to redeem against.  

Message 15 of 25
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

I think reaction to the Citi DC largely depends on your opinion of Citi as a lender.   I have the Citi DC and am dissatisfied with Citi, so the card is SDed and I use my QS1 for my non-category spend instead.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 16 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

I think reaction to the Citi DC largely depends on your opinion of Citi as a lender.   I have the Citi DC and am dissatisfied with Citi, so the card is SDed and I use my QS1 for my non-category spend instead.  

With all the reservations i have about citi DC card like having to take two hps to get the CL you should have gotten when you apped and having to PIF to get the 2% , i probably still think its best 2% cashback card due to its acceptance nearly everywhere you can't quite say that about fidelity amex. I also do like the QS card even tho its .5% less than DC. No FTF and being able to get cash back instantly is an really nice perk to have. 

With all that being said i don't use any cashback cards right now all my spend is on edp, CSP, and Ink plus. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

@Callandra wrote:

Other than Fidelity Amex, are there any other 2% on everything cards in existence (that can still be applied for, not the ones that have been nerfed like Priceline)? YMMV but I would like this Double Cash as a MasterCard would have more acceptance and you don't have to jump through any hoops. 

Yes, there's the Orbitz Visa, which gives you 5% on Orbitz bookings and 2% on everything else in Orbucks. The card has no AF and no FTF. So pretty good that way. The only problem is that your rewards are in Orbucks, and although Orbucks earned from the card do not expire, you can only use it for hotel bookings on Orbitz.

The Orbitz Visa does have an advantage over the Double Cash, however. There are no minimum thresholds for redemption. With each statement, your Orbucks are transferred to your Orbitz account, and you can use it whenever you want, no matter how little Orbucks you have. The Double Cash requires you to rack up at least $25 in rewards before you can redeem.

You book a lot of rooms for <$25? lol j/k

Message 18 of 25
celluloid17
Established Contributor

I wish the Fidelity Amex would follow Discover's lead and drop the redemption threshold for redeeming cashback earned or at least lower it to $25 to be on par with Citi DC.  I definitely favor Double Cash now for all catch-all purchases that aren't covered by 5% cards and prefer the versatility of a MC vs Amex.  I've SD'ed my Fidelity completely and I'm not sure what to do with it moving forward.  I have about $11 worth in points on my Fidelity card, but I can't redeem them because of the prohibitive redemption threshhold.  Argh!Smiley Tongue

Double Cash is definitely the winner for those that pay in full every month and you don't have to maintain a special banking account to receive your money like you do with Fidelity.

Message 19 of 25
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You book a lot of rooms for <$25? lol j/k

With Orbitz, the room does NOT need to cost less than your available rewards. If you are booking a room for one night that's $95, and you have $20 Orbucks available, you can redeem and get it for $75. You do not need to wait until you have enough Orbucks to book a room with Orbucks alone. That's the advantage.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.