Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Citi INQ Sensitive ?

tag
n777ua
Established Contributor

Is Citi INQ Sensitive ?

I received an invitation to app for the ThankYou preferred and Citi wants to pull EXP, which has 15 inqs.  Should I app or jut hold off ? I don't recall how sensitive Citi is to INQs...

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Is Citi INQ Sensitive ?

They are for instant approvals.  

If you have more than 3 or 4 inquiries, I think it'll automatically be under review.  I had about 10 or 12 inquiries when I applied.  My app was under review with a phone number for me to call for an immediate decision.  After calling, my app was instantly approved, which was my 3rd Citi card in 12 months.

For Citi, I think if they want to approve you, they will do so regardless of inquiries (assuming you don't have like 50).  If not, anything over 3 or 4 will be declined on manual review.  Under 3, you'll like be instantly approved by the computer if your score fits their very narrow parameters.

Message 2 of 24
HiLine
Blogger

I would not apply for anything with 15 inquiries, Citi or not. Hopefully Citi only considers FICO scores and doesn't have a seprate criterion for inquiries...

Message 3 of 24
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

I believe i had 8 on ex and 5 on Eq, instant approval but they pulled both.
Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 4 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

I would not apply for anything with 15 inquiries, Citi or not. Hopefully Citi only considers FICO scores and doesn't have a seprate criterion for inquiries...

+1

The most inquiries I've had while still being approved was 15.  This was for a Chase card.  While I don't think Citi has a seperate categoriy for inquiries, I do think with most lenders, an instant approval is no longer possible with more than 5 inquiries.

The computer will automatically default it to a manual review with the 7 - 10 day pending message.  I can't even remember the last time I've gotten an instant approval, but they're always approved during the review, even with 10 - 15 or so inquiries.

Message 5 of 24
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I had 22 when I got approved for two more American Express cards. First National Bank of Omaha took one day to approve me with 19. Others have approved increases without questioning the amount of inuiries at all. I think having a perfect payment history and low utilisation trumps inquiries. If you have a lot of inquiries with late payments and/or high utilisation, then it would look like you really need credit. Citi approved two when I had 16/17 inquries and all I had to do was ring in to add a mobile number to the application to be approved, which was weird.

Message 6 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote: I think having a perfect payment history and low utilisation trumps inquiries. If you have a lot of inquiries with late payments and/or high utilisation, then it would look like you really need credit. Citi approved two when I had 16/17 inquries and all I had to do was ring in to add a mobile number to the application to be approved, which was weird.

Right, inquiries alone (unless it's like 50) will never be reason enough for a decline with an otherwise pristine CR.  However, it is and always will be part of the computer generated reasons for a decline. 

I surmise Citi feels better when they have permission to call your cell phone, which is implied when you give it to them.  For some reason, I think they feel better about having permission to a cell should anyone miss or default.

Message 7 of 24
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I was approved for Chase Amazon, Amex, and NFCU with over 15 inq reporting on each report.

I think on recon they are easy to explain as long as you weren't apping for 15 credit card accounts... In my case it was multiple mortgage-related pulls that were the culprit

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 24
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

I got approved for 2 Chase, 1 US Bank, 2 AMEX, 1 Citi with over 20 INQ on EX, they all pulled EX of course.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 9 of 24
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@n777ua wrote:

I received an invitation to app for the ThankYou preferred and Citi wants to pull EXP, which has 15 inqs.  Should I app or jut hold off ? I don't recall how sensitive Citi is to INQs...

If you know they will pull EX I would suggest holding off. 

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.