cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Citi losing its competitive edge among all other good credit cards?

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Re: Is Citi losing its competitive edge among all other good credit cards?

I have a few Citi cards but most are in the SD now.  Their categories on the Dividend don't compare to the Freedom/IT to me.  I liked the Hilton cards because of the sign-up bonuses and the Reserve keeps me at Gold level.  I also used a Citi Mastercard when I was only allowed to use a Mastercard.  Other than that, I don't find them to spectacular.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 41 of 42
Cory
Established Contributor

Re: Is Citi losing its competitive edge among all other good credit cards?

I love Citibank! They have been spectacular to me. Depends on who you are, and what you want/look for Citi is still very competitive. Their Citi TYPreferred card is not a killer, but it gets the job done. I haven't seen any other lender offer points or cash for "entertainment" , which is huge for me, being that I am a sporty/concert type of guy if you will.

Alot of people on this forum, and offline still have the "grandfathered" Citi Forward card, with a generous 5xTYP on popluar catagories. For now, Citi seems to be keeping this card for existing users, and thus feels that there is no reason for them to introduce a new product at this time. Business just from the old "grandfathered" (for now at least) Citi Forward card holders alone puts them if not ahead, but equal to Chase, or Amex. I doubt Citi feels threatened, or despaired looking at what the other competitive lenders are offering. Most of the same people who speak so badly of Citi on this forum still holds onto their Citi cards, and I am sure would be quick to jump on a cash/or points offer from Citi without blinking. I do agree that Citi would be in the lead if their Thank you points were transferable to frequent flyers programs, or converted to cash. I am no Citi Executive officers, or have any inside knowledge/information but this will eventually be a feature in the future.

Message 42 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.