Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Citi teasing me?

tag
RW771
Frequent Contributor

Is Citi teasing me?

Got an invitation in the mail for the Citi Thank You and am tempted to apply....however, just a few weeks ago I was denied for the Citi Simplicity. I know that an "invitation" doesn't guarantee approval, but why would they have sent this to me just weeks after denying me? Is it possible I may qualify for this card and not the other? Anyone familiar with Citi and how their brain works?

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Is Citi teasing me?

Because invitation itself is meaningless. The way pre-approval/invitation works is that Citi asks CRAs to produce a list of people satisfy Citi's requirement (for example never declared BK). Citi takes that list and mail these so called "invitation" to everyone without checking every CR. The list itself is generic and means very little. Citi still has to HP you to do a through credit check on you. This is how Citi operates and this is how everyone operates.

So your answer is no. Getting that invitation does not mean your are qualified for this particular card. You still have to go through application process.

What was your reason for denial on Simplicity?

Message 2 of 10
RW771
Frequent Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Because invitation itself is meaningless. The way pre-approval/invitation works is that Citi asks CRAs to produce a list of people satisfy Citi's requirement (for example never declared BK). Citi takes that list and mail these so called "invitation" to everyone without checking every CR. The list itself is generic and means very little. Citi still has to HP you to do a through credit check on you. This is how Citi operates and this is how everyone operates.

So your answer is no. Getting that invitation does not mean your are qualified for this particular card. You still have to go through application process.

I was denied due to high util (2 cards I'm trying to transfer to another card due to high int. rates) and a "major delinquency" which was a CO with GEMB that's been PIF since 2007. I have no lates, no collections and the rest of my credit is in good shape :-(

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 3 of 10
distantarray
Established Contributor

@RW771 wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I was denied due to high util (2 cards I'm trying to transfer to another card due to high int. rates) and a "major delinquency" which was a CO with GEMB that's been PIF since 2007. I have no lates, no collections and the rest of my credit is in good shape :-(

high utility is a good reason for denial which can change rapidly, they could pre-approve you ont he 15th and your cards could report on the 16th to disqualify you so ymmv on a lot but also random question what state are you in? cause if your in NY you can remove that charge off now

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 10
Hightechredneck
Frequent Contributor

Removing CO in NY? Something special about NY?

Message 5 of 10
bahbahd
Established Contributor

I believe I have read in another post that the state of NY has it's own statute for a CRTP of 5 years which all CRAs must follow for NY residents. You might want to research this and then contact the CRAs to request deletion.  i think it may be in the NYGeneral Business Law

Message 6 of 10
Hightechredneck
Frequent Contributor

Well that would be most excellent since I have a CO still sticking around from 2006

Message 7 of 10
Hightechredneck
Frequent Contributor

Message 8 of 10
RW771
Frequent Contributor

I live in TX and didn't know there was a limit on the time CO's can report on your CR? I just thought it stayed on your CR's the whole 7 years unless the creditor agreed to remove it.

Unfortunately GEMB made it loud and clear a final time the other day when their corporate office called that they are not going to remove the 2 paid CO's, no matter what.

I guess that's what upsets me most...I know I screwed up and back in 2007 letting these accts get CO'd and immediately I paid these off. I knew it would take time for my credit to heal, but to this day keep getting denied due to these old accts. I've sent several GW letters, each time getting that dreaded denial letter and have finally given up and realized they will just have to fall off on their own. It just sucks knowing that these are the only baddies on my CR and are what continue to keep me from obtaining new credit.

Message 9 of 10
bahbahd
Established Contributor

I have never heard of any other state other than NY that has a shorter CRTP.  Federal law is 7 yrs + 180 days for any CO or late payment derog. Sorry about your lack of success with GE.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.