cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Costco AE same as American Express Corp?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Is Costco AE same as American Express Corp?

I've had an American Express card(s) that went into collection and unpaid.Will at some point pay them off.My question, is the approval process for a Costco American Express conducted by Costco or by American Express? Will unpaid American express cards effect getting a Costco American Express card? Just want to know where I stand,will not apply till march 2013. Thanks

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: Is Costco AE same as American Express Corp?

Amex processes it.  With your collections, you won't get one.

Message 2 of 14
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Sorry but no chance on this one. If/when you pay the collection you should have a shot

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 3 of 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Costco is Amex (centurion bank) issued cobrand card like their delta cards.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 14
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

@OptimasPrime wrote:

Sorry but no chance on this one. If/when you pay the collection you should have a shot

Not necessarily...Amex tends to have a long memory. If the OP is somehow able to work his way back into their good graces, it will more than likely be through the charge card route...just my $0.02.

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 5 of 14
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

OptimasPrime wrote:

Not necessarily...Amex tends to have a long memory. If the OP is somehow able to work his way back into their good graces, it will more than likely be through the charge card route...just my $0.02.

I agree. While its very unlikely that they would approve you for a revolver (even a cobranded one like costco) you might have a chance with the Zync. 

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 6 of 14
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@OptimasPrime wrote:

@OptimasPrime wrote:

I agree. While its very unlikely that they would approve you for a revolver (even a cobranded one like costco) you might have a chance with the Zync. 

How loudly does money talk? What if I were to put 200K in American Express CD's and pay off my past debts,would that buy me any good will with AE?

Goal 750 Across

Message 7 of 14
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

I think that that would be more than enough to get you back into their good graces. 

It might not be necessary though. I forgot to mention another possibility in my earlier post. You can find out if you are blacklisted pretty easily by simply applying for the costco. If you are blacklisted their system will deny your application immediately with no hard pull. If you are not blacklisted then they will process your application and even.possibly approve it. It's a bit of a long shot they'd approve you with an unpaid co but by applying you can at least find out if you're blacklisted/where you stand with amex.

Even if you are blacklisted I'm not sure you'd need to buy goodwill by tying that much cash up  with them, paying the charge off would probably be sufficient

EQ 778 | TU 776
Message 8 of 14
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

honest question, if you have 200k in liquid cash you can just throw into a CD, then how did you get yourself into a position to have a charge off.  and why haven't you paid it yet? how much was the charge off for?

just seems that most people that have 200k in liquid cash have many more in assest (read millions) and wouldn't get in a position to get a charge off?

also if you have that kind of cash laying around what do you need their product for?  seems like you could invest in Chase PC and get a palladium card and get ballin'

sorry for the blunt question, just trying to figure out the big picture

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 9 of 14
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

honest question, if you have 200k in liquid cash you can just throw into a CD, then how did you get yourself into a position to have a charge off.  and why haven't you paid it yet? how much was the charge off for?

just seems that most people that have 200k in liquid cash have many more in assest (read millions) and wouldn't get in a position to get a charge off?

also if you have that kind of cash laying around what do you need their product for?  seems like you could invest in Chase PC and get a palladium card and get ballin'

sorry for the blunt question, just trying to figure out the big picture

Parent was sick. Mother loved me uncondionally my entire life.Needed my help.Stopped working for several years in order to help out.Life is about choices.I put family before riches and don't regret my decision.Would do it again.If your mother is half as great as mine was you would be quite blessed! You can have all the money in the world but you only get one mother!! I'm now rebuilding.Seeking a degree and getting closer to completing a Respiratory degree.Once that is finish I will explore re-opening up a mortgage brokers company.I was pretty good at it but this time aound I will train a few people to run it and I will over see it.Will set it up in a different state where broker business is rebounding quicker. I want another AE because of their services.

Goal 750 Across

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.