cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Credit Karma wrong about "Fair" chances for CapOne Quicksilver?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Credit Karma wrong about "Fair" chances for CapOne Quicksilver?

Hi guys. Has anyone actually applied for any of the Capital One cards at the advice of Credit Karma? Were you approved? My Fico is about 590 right now and I don't know if I should trust this or not lol. I also had a charge off with them last year that has since been paid.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Credit Karma wrong about "Fair" chances for CapOne Quicksilver?

Have you tried the CapOne prequal site?  We got approved for a Cap One Platinum with scores around the same as that.  

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you tried the CapOne prequal site?  We got approved for a Cap One Platinum with scores around the same as that.  

+1. You're always better advised to go straight to the issuer's pre-qualification site/page. Credit Karma's card recommendations are basically informed guesswork based on their SP of your Vantage Score TU and EQ profiles, which may or may not be a close match for your FICO scores and profiles, which is what the issuers will generally use. You can by all means try an app via the CK links, but know that you're rolling the dice there more than if you went to an issuer's prequal site and got a good offer with a small-range or single APR.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to Capital One page and absolutely nothing pops up. It says they can't find any offers for me. I said I wasn't going to re apply until Dec of this year (one year after charge off) and also 6 of my inquiries will fall off by then.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently obtained a CapOne Venture One with a $10k SL.  I do CreditKarma, CreditSesame and Credit.com just for kicks.  Only one of them said my chances were very good with FICOs in the 780s.  It was CapOne's site that gave me the confidence to apply after their pre-approval.

I was once matched with 19 offers on Creditmatch almost monthly.  My scores are still in the 780s and now I have 4 pre-qualifieds on that site.

To make a long story short, don't trust anything other than the bank issuing the card.  These other FAKO sites get commissions on referrals.  I got duped into a Barclay's Rewards card when I was new to CreditKarma.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I went to Capital One page and absolutely nothing pops up. It says they can't find any offers for me. I said I wasn't going to re apply until Dec of this year (one year after charge off) and also 6 of my inquiries will fall off by then.

Good plan. If you didn't get any prequals (I haven't since I got my unsecured Platinum in February, but in my case that's probably more a function of the fact that Cap One will only allow new apps once every 6 months) then you'd be flipping a coin to apply. Build your history and scores and check again in December. Losing those inquiries then will definitely help.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I'll just wait it out.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a good site (credit karma) if you want to rack up 3 hard pulls at a time from cap1! ..along with the denial@$%!
I learned the hard way...
The individual prequel sites are the way to go
Message 8 of 22
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Unless your'e getting pre-qual results from the lender itself, take anything with a grain of salt. Cap One's pre-qualifications on their own page are pretty solid from what I've heard though. If the results show a set APR, that's even better.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Quicksilver page on CreditKarma, under "Approval Odds" states that:

the average approved score is: 721 

the typical low score is 658

the typical high score is 805

You might want to wait until your score places somewhere in that range. As others have said ... use the prequal page on Cap One. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.