Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Discover BK friendly??

tag
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Is Discover BK friendly??

I have a relative with a discharged BK from 2005 looking to do a balance transfer. Has anyone had success obtaining a Discover card with a BK reporting?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

Re: Is Discover BK friendly??

@PrettyNPink wrote:

I have a relative with a discharged BK from 2005 looking to do a balance transfer. Has anyone had success obtaining a Discover card with a BK reporting?

I apped in April 2012....No due to BK..........I called for a recon and no dice....they were not included in the BK.....I am going to try at the 8 yr mark......

Good luck and let us know

Message 2 of 26
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@PrettyNPink wrote:

AFAIK they are not. YMMV of course, but its best to have BK 8+ yrs old with good TL's reporting.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 26
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

They are, at least for many people.

Not quite 3 years post discharge, and I have a $3,000 line and they've been very good to me.

Message 4 of 26
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I wouldn't call them "friendly", in the sense of Capital One, who will approve most everybody with a BK reporting.

Discover won't say no just based on the BK alone. At least that was what I was told by their customer service rep. They look at your whole credit picture. If you search these forums, there are many people that have gotten a discover card post BK. As early as 1 year after BK. I decided to go the Barclay route cause I wanted a decent credit line and I wasn't sure how much Discover was going to offer me.

YMMV as always but you (or your relative) won't know unless you apply.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 5 of 26
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@amercnchopz34 wrote:

I apped in April 2012....No due to BK..........I called for a recon and no dice....they were not included in the BK.....I am going to try at the 8 yr mark......

Generally, you want a BK that is at least 3 years old. Discover wants a very old BK.

Message 6 of 26
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

It's been 8 years since the BK occurred. She has a new car loan in her name through Nissan and a credit card accounts in good standing. Does it matter which card she applies for? 

Message 7 of 26
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

aussiesareforever. I realize this is an old thread, but can you tell me exactly what Barclays card you applied for or which you believe would provide the highest CL ( Barclaycard, NFL, etc.). I am 6 years post BK with a TU 696 and EX 659. My highest CC now is CapOne = $1500 (9 mo's), so I would like somehing much higher if possible. I have good income and zero utilization. I also have 3 other smaller CL cards, but all recent over the past 6 months. No inquires last 4 months.

THANKS

Current Score: EX: 718, EQ: 715, TU: 720
Goal Score: EX: 750, EQ: 750, TU: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 26
andre181
Established Contributor

My mom got approved with Discover right before Christmas with a BK7 from 2004 reporting. Approved for $5500 CL.

All her IIB accounts are gone and she has many good TL's with no lates. Her score is in the low 700's now.

Also important to note that she burned Discover in that BK. So she apparently wasn't blacklisted with them.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 9 of 26
RSCo
Established Contributor

@aussiesareforever wrote:

I wouldn't call them "friendly", in the sense of Capital One, who will approve most everybody with a BK reporting.

Discover won't say no just based on the BK alone. At least that was what I was told by their customer service rep. They look at your whole credit picture. If you search these forums, there are many people that have gotten a discover card post BK. As early as 1 year after BK. I decided to go the Barclay route cause I wanted a decent credit line and I wasn't sure how much Discover was going to offer me.

YMMV as always but you (or your relative) won't know unless you apply.

Wow.. you've found Cap One to be friendly?? 

I've had 2 CC with them for 13 years, one with a 500.00 CL and the other with a 300.00 CL.. I've NEVER EVER been late with them.. My Fico is 703 and I can't get them to increase my CL.. In fact I even have a $30,000.00 brokerage account with them that i've had for 7 years, and still they won't do anything because they say the cards I have are cards that they don't accept customer requested CLIs.. So I said fine, issue me a brand new card, they did a hard pull only to come back and tell me that you can't have more than 2 credit cards under them... Seriously.... I know it's crazy..  I sent a letter today to the CEO telling him i'm pulling my 30k brokerage account from them and they won't get my 115k I have in TRowe Price.. Waiting to hear back.. But I have found them to be completey crazy..  BTW, I just got approved for a Discover IT card this week with a 5k limit... Cap One not soo good..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.