Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Discover worth it

tag
praise123
Contributor

Is Discover worth it

I am trying to round oapplication spree spree for the weekend and thought about a discover more card. Should I wait or go for it now. I am going to the garden for sure after that and will not apply until after I apply for my mortgage in June 2013

U

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is Discover worth it

what are you scores and recent inqs? I think it can be worth it, do you have the chase freedom? ive only had it for a month but Discover seems solid id go for it.

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 2 of 28
praise123
Contributor

My last scores were 639 eq and 671 tu on Aug 1 but I am boot sure today because in the last week I got the ciri diamond and BB store card. Lost with Barclay and chase based on not having my current cards for on,y 2 months

Message 3 of 28
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Personally I don't think the rewards are worth it, the whole  1/4 percent rewards for the first $3000 in purchases just seem too low, then to compound it, you get a 1/4 percent all the time at warehouse stores. Sure the 5% is great, 

Then compare to Chase freedom, 5% categories, and 1% on everything no limit on the 1%

Just don't see the point of the card, I got a pre-approved offer from first Omaha bank for a discover network card and got an awesome limit, 6k and they are supposed to be great with CLI's but I'm good for now, no interest for 12 months. Rewards suck but a high limit card (matched my highest limit) its a great member in my card portfolio. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

Discover is ideally suited as a complimentary cash back card for modest spending on specific "shop discover" categories with cash back bonus ranging from 5% - 20%.  For example, use Discover for Groupon purchases to receive 15% cashback.  The cashback accrued can be redeemed for gift cards at an additional bonus, i.e. Brooks Brothers $100 gift card only cost $80 Discover dollars.

If used as referenced above, I think Discover can have an extremely high return on spending.

Message 5 of 28
haoniukun
Established Member

You can use the money messenger service.

It's free and you get cash back for sending money.

Though there's $1000 limit per month, you can reach the $3000 easily every year.

Maybe that's why they set the first $3000 as 0.25 cash back.

I'm not sure if other CC provides such a feature.

Message 6 of 28
CardinalRules
New Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Discover is ideally suited as a complimentary cash back card for modest spending on specific "shop discover" categories with cash back bonus ranging from 5% - 20%.  For example, use Discover for Groupon purchases to receive 15% cashback.  The cashback accrued can be redeemed for gift cards at an additional bonus, i.e. Brooks Brothers $100 gift card only cost $80 Discover dollars.

If used as referenced above, I think Discover can have an extremely high return on spending.

+1.

I don't think the More is an everyday spend card. Discover also runs promotions throughout the year. Right now you get 2% cashback on everything until the end of August up to $250, and that stacks with the 5% categories. You also get 2% cash back on your birthday month. If used well, I think it's a great card to have.

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 7 of 28
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

I can only send $200/day up to $500/Month with discover. Perhaps because I just got the cars and haven't made the first payment yet.
EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 8 of 28
john398
Senior Contributor

@haoniukun wrote:

You can use the money messenger service.

It's free and you get cash back for sending money.

Though there's $1000 limit per month, you can reach the $3000 easily every year.

Maybe that's why they set the first $3000 as 0.25 cash back.

I'm not sure if other CC provides such a feature.

for some reason tells me i am not eligible not really wanting to just  saying

Message 9 of 28
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Discover has its pros and cons.  The 5% categories are great, but otherwise the cash back is pretty meager.  But, their customer service is the best in the business.

One thing to note: their limits are pretty small, and grow very slowly.  I think if you wait until after you get your mortgage (and after all your recent inquiries age off), you'll get a better starting credit limit.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.