cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Double Cash Back Discover it Temporary Promo?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Double Cash Back Discover it Temporary Promo?

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Actually this is old news. They extended it again until the end of the year.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/discover-extends-double-cashback-offer-for-new-cardmembers-should-we-b...

Odd. Since 

Message 11 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
How would anyone here know how Nerd Wallet acquires its information? Perhaps they made a simple phone call to Discover for confirmation as another member here suggested you do yourself, which I concur.

It is odd that there is no information on the promotional end date on the Discover it webpage. It is a usually a marketing ploy to get consumers to sign up. Certainly when Chase has their sign up bonus they mark when the promotion will end for new applications.

I think it varies, some do and some don't.   Especially if the merchant/issuer really isn't sure how popular it is going to be, they may be reluctant to give a date that they may want to end earlier (or extend)

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Actually this is old news. They extended it again until the end of the year.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/discover-extends-double-cashback-offer-for-new-cardmembers-should-we-b...

That is odd. 2011XTERROR said he called Discover and they confirmed that the promotion is ending on 9/30/15. That's why I am questioning source of information that comes from outside of Discover it, especially when there are no evident expiration date on their Discover it webpage.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I apply up to 11:59 PST or is that 11:59 EST as far as the 9/30/15 deadline? That's a three hour difference so technically it could be 10/1/15. 

I'm joking. But I was thinking about applying for the card at the end of the month. Guess I better get going. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Yes, it's temporary in that it is certainly not going to last forever.

If you really want the promo, just apply before 9/30! Not complicated. If you can't qualify for the card by then, it's still not the end of the world.

You don't seem to understand the nature of the question. It's not about applying or when to apply. The question is about the reliabilty of the information and where they came from. If you read this thread you can already find contradictory information: one person claimed he called in and said he has confirmed that a Discover it rep has said the promotion is ending on 9/30 while another user has said Discover it had extended the promotion until the end of the year, until 12/31/15.

Message 15 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

If you really want the promo, just apply before 9/30! Not complicated. If you can't qualify for the card by then, it's still not the end of the world.

You don't seem to understand the nature of the question. It's not about applying or when to apply. The question is about the reliabilty of the information and where they came from. If you read this thread you can already find contradictory information: one person claimed he called in and said he has confirmed that a Disover it rep has said the promotion is ending on 9/30 while another user has said Discover it had extended the promotion until the end of the year, until 12/31/15.

Ok, but why does it matter so much if you don't want to apply anyway? If you want the promo 100%, apply before 9/30. If not, why are we arguing about this?

Furthermore, you could call Discover and get their perspective on it.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

You don't seem to understand the nature of the question. It's not about applying or when to apply. The question is about the reliabilty of the information and where they came from. If you read this thread you can already find contradictory information: one person claimed he called in and said he has confirmed that a Disover it rep has said the promotion is ending on 9/30 while another user has said Discover it had extended the promotion until the end of the year, until 12/31/15.

No one here knows where nerdwallet or doctorofcredit get their information.  You need to call Discover yourself if you have any questions.  

Going back and forth here isn't going to accomplish anything.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

No one here knows where nerdwallet or doctorofcredit get their information.  You need to call Discover yourself if you have any questions.  

I prefer not to contact the company directly as they are good at what they do and that is selling products. There is nothing wrong with attempting to find the truth through forums. That is the reason why they exist. 

Message 18 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I prefer not to contact the company directly as they are good at what they do and that is selling products. There is nothing wrong with attempting to find the truth through forums. That is the reason why they exist. 

I'm pretty sure that although Discover wants your business they are not going to outright lie if you ask when a promotion ends.

Message 19 of 22
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

You don't seem to understand the nature of the question. It's not about applying or when to apply. The question is about the reliabilty of the information and where they came from. If you read this thread you can already find contradictory information: one person claimed he called in and said he has confirmed that a Discover it rep has said the promotion is ending on 9/30 while another user has said Discover it had extended the promotion until the end of the year, until 12/31/15.

The way it looks no one does!!! All I do know is that I have the promotion for 12 months

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.