Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is It Worth Getting A New Card ?

tag
AllPro
Contributor

Is It Worth Getting A New Card ?

I was going to app for a HD or Lowes Card to Buy a few things for around the house, Im not to sure if i should though. I have decent scores and im sure i will be approved. I have A Amex 6000 limit,Barclays 2500 ,Bank Line of credit 1000and a 400 dollar Crap one.  I owe a total of 50 dollars , util is <1% wich is actually hurting my score and i need to let more report. I plan on spending 2500 to 3000 at HD or Lowes , and dont want to carry a balance on Amex, I want to keep Amex Happy. The card is also only 4 months old, Not sure how they are with Inqs.

So My Eq is 754 Ex Was 765 4 months ago and TU 728 All Ficos. I have 2 inq (EQ)falling off in 10 days leaving me with 3total Inqs, Tu and EX i have one on each from this year.  I can wait to make this purchase i dont really need these things right now, but would be nice to have them . Should i just garden ? i was hoping to get a 5 grand limit pay off the card slowly and hoping for a few grand CLI over the winter and buying a zero turn lawn mower in the spring ..Taking advantage of the 0% < if i go HD .

My othe option is get a loan, I have never had a loan before though. And i dont have a cosigner (If Needed ) .

Hope you understand this , lol im driving myself nuts here trying to decide what to do.. Thanks !!

Starting Score: EQ 729 TU 727
Current Score: Ex (AMEX) 765 EQ 734 TU 736
Goal Score: 780+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Is It Worth Getting A New Card ?

I would get the Lowes card. You get 5% off everytime you use your card. The discount comes off your total bill at the register. Not sure if HD has the same feature.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 8
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

@AllPro wrote:

I was going to app for a HD or Lowes Card to Buy a few things for around the house, Im not to sure if i should though. I have decent scores and im sure i will be approved. I have A Amex 6000 limit,Barclays 2500 ,Bank Line of credit 1000and a 400 dollar Crap one.  I owe a total of 50 dollars , util is <1% wich is actually hurting my score and i need to let more report. I plan on spending 2500 to 3000 at HD or Lowes , and dont want to carry a balance on Amex, I want to keep Amex Happy. The card is also only 4 months old, Not sure how they are with Inqs.

So My Eq is 754 Ex Was 765 4 months ago and TU 728 All Ficos. I have 2 inq (EQ)falling off in 10 days leaving me with 3total Inqs, Tu and EX i have one on each from this year.  I can wait to make this purchase i dont really need these things right now, but would be nice to have them . Should i just garden ? i was hoping to get a 5 grand limit pay off the card slowly and hoping for a few grand CLI over the winter and buying a zero turn lawn mower in the spring ..Taking advantage of the 0% < if i go HD .

My othe option is get a loan, I have never had a loan before though. And i dont have a cosigner (If Needed ) .

Hope you understand this , lol im driving myself nuts here trying to decide what to do.. Thanks !!

Id do it, especially if youre gonna carry a balance. Home depot I know has a 0% apr on purchases X amount or more, idk how many months it lasts.

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 3 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I would vote you app for Home Depot, the consumer card is via Citi, app after you get the card and you don't get a good CLI, I was given 500, but called the number given on the page with approval and CL and requested  a 4k limit saying I was considering getting a new front loading stean washer and dryer and didn't want to max out the card on the first day. 10 minutes later I was approved.  

bought a lawnmower and bbq a month ago... for a little over $300 got 6 months no interest.    CL stays at 4k. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 8
AllPro
Contributor

Yeah My girl was approved for tht card under a year ago HD (1500), she made a few big purchases and paid the balance off slowly .she got 2 auto CLI she is now at 4200 for a limit. She has 2500  in CC limits and a auto loan for 24000 and Lower scores then me . I was hoping to get atleast 5 grand..Wishfull thinking i guess...

Starting Score: EQ 729 TU 727
Current Score: Ex (AMEX) 765 EQ 734 TU 736
Goal Score: 780+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@AllPro wrote:

Yeah My girl was approved for tht card under a year ago HD (1500), she made a few big purchases and paid the balance off slowly .she got 2 auto CLI she is now at 4200 for a limit. She has 2500  in CC limits and a auto loan for 24000 and Lower scores then me . I was hoping to get atleast 5 grand..Wishfull thinking i guess...

Call and request the CLI you can do it the first day, even before you get the card My UTL  a lot higher than yours.  My score was in the low 700's.  Lots of threads here on people getting good CLI even before the card arrives 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I like HD better and if you are going to carry a balance then it won't matter... If you are going to PIF then Lowes with the 5% would be better!

No 5% if you take finance offer though!

Message 7 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

If going to carry balance for a while, I wouldn't get HD card.  I would just get a credit card with 0% offer going so it will be useful outside of HD.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.