Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is MasterCard becoming obsolete?

tag
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

I like to keep a diverse portfolio of credit cards. Last week, I had to give up my CSP WMC in order to get a EMV version. The EM version is a VISA branded card only. This prompted me to review my credit card arsenal and I noitced the majority of my cards are VISA branded with the exception of my Best Buy MC whick I only use ay Best Buy. I've been to places where they do not accept VISA so it was good to the the CSP WMC in my wallet. As I researched other prime banks, they all seem to have a VISA fetish. It appeared only Barclays, B of A, and Citi still offer a small selection of MC's.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Re: Is MasterCard becoming obsolete?

USAA, NFCU, Cap1 still offer MC cards.
Message 2 of 25
Anf_dude
Contributor

SunTrust Has A Great Selection Of MC Backed Cards. I PC'd My BofA Visa 123 To MC. Now I Don't Have Any Visa Cards But My Wells Fargo Debit.
Message 3 of 25
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

USAA and NFCU are great institutions but everyone does not qaulify for membership. I'm adding Barclay's Sallie Mae MC to my 2014 credit card wish list. I do not have any B of A cards so I'll check out what they have to offer.

Message 4 of 25
Radek7752
Contributor

@WhiteCollar wrote:

I like to keep a diverse portfolio of credit cards. Last week, I had to give up my CSP WMC in order to get a EMV version. The EM version is a VISA branded card only. This prompted me to review my credit card arsenal and I noitced the majority of my cards are VISA branded with the exception of my Best Buy MC whick I only use ay Best Buy. I've been to places where they do not accept VISA so it was good to the the CSP WMC in my wallet. As I researched other prime banks, they all seem to have a VISA fetish. It appeared only Barclays, B of A, and Citi still offer a small selection of MC's.

I don't believe it is becoming obsolete, although I too have noticed more Visas amongst my cards. I even have more American Express cards than I do Mastercards. I chose to forego the EMV in my CSP so I could keep it a MC because it serves an important purpose in my wallet. Lastly, when traveling abroad I prefer to have a Mastercard with me, even though I tend to carry a Visa & American Express as well.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 5 of 25
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Barclay Ring is nice to have in the wallet if you have to carry a balance a short time. They also offer a free TU 08 credit score.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 25
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

@Radek7752 Won't you have to eventually convert  to the EMV VISA version of the CSP? I was told I could wait but I would eventually get a new card because Chase all CSP's will be VISA branded going forward.

Message 7 of 25
rlx01
Established Contributor

Citibank and Barclay issue more MasterCards than anything else.
Message 8 of 25
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

I checked Citi's website and the majority is VISA. However, I was told you can request some credit card products in a MC version.

Message 9 of 25
Radek7752
Contributor

@WhiteCollar wrote:

@Radek7752 Won't you have to eventually convert  to the EMV VISA version of the CSP? I was told I could wait but I would eventually get a new card because Chase all CSP's will be VISA branded going forward.

Chase may very well choose to convert the cards at their own convenience, but from what I have read so far, it's all speculation as to when that will actually happen. I'm in no rush to convert since my other Mastercard (Simplicity) is not a suitable wallet card. It's best used for balance transfers and large expenses to be paid over time.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.