cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Mastercard code for bad/reestablishing credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Mastercard code for bad/reestablishing credit?

I hope this doesn't seem like a dumb question, but as I look through my wallet at the cards I have, I notice all I have is Mastercard accounts (2 Capital One and 1 Household/HSBC).  Now, I went thru a rough spot in my younger years, but I'm re-stablished now and my ficos are all between 685-700.  Over the last 2 years all the card offers I've received have been Mastercard.....where are the Visa offers, does it matter as long as the card reports to the credit beaureau?  Just kinda curious about whether there is some unspoken code when I pull out and use one of my Mastercards as opposed to a Visa.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Is Mastercard code for bad/reestablishing credit?

lyrical123, can't say I blame you for feeling that way.  I felt just like that for a while way back when, I got a whole slew of Visa cards and nothing but Visa cards.

I don't have any hard proof, but I think it's just coincidental.  There is no unspoken code (or secret handshake, either.  That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!)  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 4
smc733
Valued Contributor

There are also the Citi Platinum Select MasterCard and Bank of America Worldpoints MasterCard, both of which are for those with excellent credit.  MasterCard is just the verification company, that has nothing to do with being rebuilder cards.  Plenty of subprime cards are also Visa.  Lenders generally have a type they favor.

If anything, the card issuer is the unwritten code for being a re-builder (see:  No one with good credit gets an Orchard card).

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 4
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Visa, MC, Discover, Amex brands all have high end to low end cards.   No stigmas there, IMO.

Most big banks have cards for excellent to poor credit, even HSBC and Capital One.

Some banks only have cards for people with bad credit.   They have "bleed you dry" fees.   You know who they are.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.