Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is NFCU a good idea?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is NFCU a good idea?

Hello all!

So my question is whether or not NFCU would be a good move and if they have anything that would complement my current portfolio.

I currently have:

Cap1 QS:  CL $2000. I use this for all non-category spend.

AmEx BCP: CL $5000. I use this strickly for Grocery and Gas.

Marvel MC: CL $2000. Used for Dining and Entertainment (Movie tickets, Xbox store, etc)

Overstock STC: CL $3000

I have my sights set on Citi DC or Blispay for better non-category cash back after about 12 months in the garden. I just keep reading NFCU mentioned and was looking to see if anyone might have some advice.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Is NFCU a good idea?

If you qualify for membership, NFCU is golden! My experience with them is limited, since I just joined last month. My goal is for Navy to be my main bank, both personal AND business. 

From what I've heard, but yet to experience, Navy is great for rebuilders. If you qualify, go for it!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

If you qualify for membership, NFCU is golden! My experience with them is limited, since I just joined last month. My goal is for Navy to be my main bank, both personal AND business. 

From what I've heard, but yet to experience, Navy is great for rebuilders. If you qualify, go for it!

I have heard they are good for rebuilders which is exactly what I'm doing.  I have also read where anyone can get membership through the San Diego Chapter of the Navy League. I just wanna make sure if I do, its a solid choice for my rewards plan. I don't wanna get an acount and then after 2-3 months shove it in a sock drawer because its doing no more good other than a positive TL.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have heard they are good for rebuilders which is exactly what I'm doing.  I have also read where anyone can get membership through the San Diego Chapter of the Navy League. I just wanna make sure if I do, its a solid choice for my rewards plan. I don't wanna get an acount and then after 2-3 months shove it in a sock drawer because its doing no more good other than a positive TL.

Nobody can make that decision for you. Check out their credit cards available and what each one offers. Either it will work for you or it won't. I can tell you NFCU seems to be very generous with SL's as well as CLI's. I just joined last week and started with a $14,300 SL on their Cash Rewards Signature Visa and a CLOC for $4k. This is my highest CL card with my prior highest being only $2k. 

So, check their cards out and if you see one that will work in your current setup then go for it. If not, enjoy what you have and let those grow!

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rmm140 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nobody can make that decision for you. Check out their credit cards available and what each one offers. Either it will work for you or it won't. I can tell you NFCU seems to be very generous with SL's as well as CLI's. I just joined last week and started with a $14,300 SL on their Cash Rewards Signature Visa and a CLOC for $4k. This is my highest CL card with my prior highest being only $2k. 

So, check their cards out and if you see one that will work in your current setup then go for it. If not, enjoy what you have and let those grow!

Sound advice. Do you have any insight on how they feel about inquiries or new accounts?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm shopping for credit unions with an eye to card application myself and it does look like NFCU will have to be on the list. What I'm wondering about is, though, with FICO scores ranging as of the most recent report from 630 (TU according to Synchrony) to 690 (EQ according to Penfed), that it might be better for me to wait a few months more, because I'm not sure what my approval odds would be like with this current range depending on which CRA they pull.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Google credit database. Should be the first non-ad result. It should give you an idea. I just did the same but was unable to find much data reguarding number of inquiries or new accounts Best of Luck!

-Edit: Just found an entry for approval with 8 Inq in the last 12 months and several new accounts for the cash rewards. Scores seem to range from the low to mid 600s and up for approvals. There seems to be some truth in that they are good for rebuilders!

Message 7 of 10
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

They are definitely good for rebuilders.  Credit unions in general can be more "lenient" with approvals, and in the case of NFCU they are quite generous in their initial credit limit offers.  Be aware they are very HP happy.  I have been very happy with them and started with them as I was rebuilding 3 year ago.  So, their customer service is excellent, and their limits can provide a nice decrease to your utilization if that's also important.  As I mentioned though, be aware of the multiple HP's.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 8 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Navy seems to be a good fit for many people though i think if your income is low, you may not find it is as giving as what we see here. So far im at the lowest spectrum with 2 of the biggest CU'S and ive established good credit but neither want to dole out more than minimum on their credit cards. Check out their products and see if they mesh well with your lifestyle. If so go for itSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@rmm140 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sound advice. Do you have any insight on how they feel about inquiries or new accounts?

Hard to say really. If you read the NFCU data thread and approval threads you'll see approvals all over the place. I've seen approval threads for 750 scores start at a $5k SL while a 650 score starts with a $15k+ SL. NFCU almost seems more attracted to lower scores....dunno

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.