cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is NFCU no longer posting payments same-day?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is NFCU no longer posting payments same-day?

On Friday morning, I made a payment from my checking onto my CR Visa (both NFCU) for $5,000. It still doesn't even show as pending on my credit card account. I realize today is a holiday, but given that it was immediately deducted from my checking account, it seems a bit absurd that it's disappeared for the last 4 days.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Is NFCU no longer posting payments same-day?

Credit card payments post in two business days at NFCU.  Saturday was day #1.  Tuesday will be day #2.  You should see it tomorrow.  Also, the deduction from the checking account happens on day #0, which was Friday.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Credit card payments post in two business days at NFCU.  Saturday was day #1.  Tuesday will be day #2.  You should see it tomorrow.  Also, the deduction from the checking account happens on day #0, which was Friday.

That's quite odd - I guess when I was banking with USAA I just didn't realize it was 2 days. Good to know. Thanks! 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn't there a law that states it must be posted the same day it is paid? The Credit CARD Act of 2009?

Message 4 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

https://www.thebalance.com/how-long-does-it-take-a-credit-card-payment-to-post-960266

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Isn't there a law that states it must be posted the same day it is paid? The Credit CARD Act of 2009?

What's actually covered is payments submitted by the close of business on the due date. The payment can actually post later, but it still must be treated as an on-time payment. When available credit is restored is anyone's guess.

With my cards (four banks), if I make a payment during the business day, the payment posts and available credit is restored by the next morning. If I pay in the evening after the close of business, everything's delayed by a day. When weekends are involved, things are cleaned up by Tuesday morning. One thing that varies is whether or not a bank counts Saturday as a business day.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

HeavenOhio you covered how my payments have been getting processed from eight banks. The FDIC changed the ACH processing time line effective to September 15, 2017 and it seems the payments made early AM on banking regular business days usually post the same day (credited) but, may not actually show up until the next business day. There is in law when banks have to have business days (as I remember it) but as we know many have more days open today (i.e. they are in grocery stores etc).
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the past, my payments have always posted same day whether the payment was made on Monday-Friday or the weekend until December 2017.  I paid on a Friday but it took two days to clear.  Payment received was shown as Friday.  I never paid attention to it until you mentioned it.

Message 8 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

On Friday morning, I made a payment from my checking onto my CR Visa (both NFCU) for $5,000. It still doesn't even show as pending on my credit card account. I realize today is a holiday, but given that it was immediately deducted from my checking account, it seems a bit absurd that it's disappeared for the last 4 days.

I've been with NFCU since 2006 and I've never seen my payment actually post the same day, even though subtracted from my account the same day. However, the payment always appear the next day and the payment date posted is the day I made the payment. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I've really never paid much attention to it before as I was paying via outside banks anyway. Thanks for all of the info! I was aware that after close of business was credited the next day, but as I stated in my post above, this was done Friday morning, so I knew it couldn't be that. I assume tomorrow morning the payment will be dated for 12/29.

Those saying that the law only applies on the payment due date, I don't think that is correct. I read it earlier and it states that payments must be credited the same day they are made (before 5pm that day, after 5pm, next day). I assume this must have to do with interest calculation, not only on-time status, which is the only reason I care.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.