Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Navy Secured card the way to go?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Is Navy Secured card the way to go?

I was denied cc I'm assuming for the same reason the auto was denied, because my verifiable income does not match my total income and they would not except bank statements... I would really like to get in with Navy and the secured card with no annual fee and apr from 8.9-18.99 based on credit i guess sounds perfect... what you think?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is Navy Secured card the way to go?

Creditaddict,

I started my rebuilding with NFCU's Secured and now have three cards from them (two unsecured), one USAA MC, and some others, NFCU gave me a Secured Card $500.00 and one year later I asked for an unsecured and they approved me based on my history with them (did cost a hard pull though).  All that to say.. "yes" ANYthing you can get from NFCU, USAA, PenFed, ect. I would jump on! 

The Cards grow with you and the perks (Cash Rewards, GoRewards) and no AF are HUGE!

Hope this helps.

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 2 of 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I was denied cc I'm assuming for the same reason the auto was denied, because my verifiable income does not match my total income and they would not except bank statements... I would really like to get in with Navy and the secured card with no annual fee and apr from 8.9-18.99 based on credit i guess sounds perfect... what you think?

That sounds odd, they're not known for having hang ups about income, often dishing relatively large lines to low incomes.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 11
scrubs
Regular Contributor

+1 does not make any sense. i would call navy and ask why was i turn down for credit. it has to be something navy does not like.

Message 4 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@scrubs wrote:

+1 does not make any sense. i would call navy and ask why was i turn down for credit. it has to be something navy does not like.

I'm sure it's the debt payments on my CR that out way my provable income... I'm really not that surprised, I was just hoping they would give me a nice small CL that I could start using for my daily expenses and prove to them that my stated income is what I have to work with!

Message 5 of 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@scrubs wrote:

I'm sure it's the debt payments on my CR that out way my provable income... I'm really not that surprised, I was just hoping they would give me a nice small CL that I could start using for my daily expenses and prove to them that my stated income is what I have to work with!

Well, in that case, sounds like the secured route is great idea, especially since at Navy it generally leads to bigger and better things.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

I do not think you can go wrong with a Navy Federal secured card since there is no annual fee.

I got one with a very small limit 11 months ago so my son could use it and darned if they didn't automatically unsecure it.  As far as I am concerned, NFCU walks on water.

Message 7 of 11
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

I do not think you can go wrong with a Navy Federal secured card since there is no annual fee.

I got one with a very small limit 11 months ago so my son could use it and darned if they didn't automatically unsecure it.  As far as I am concerned, NFCU walks on water.

@LOLL @ O6!     As far as I am concerned, NFCU walks on water.

I was just thinking about you O6, how'd things go with the USAA venture? R U in yet?  I was coming here to post how NFCU just approved me for a consumer loan!!! (just for the mix of credit and to pay my current cards with them) but I was like WOW NFCU is 'untouchable'! with USAA a close very close second!

Again 'ANYthing' you can get from NFCU 'jump on it'!!! they will bend over backwards to serve you!

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 8 of 11
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Why were you not able to verify your income?  Do you have direct deposits going into NFCU?  I would change to have any work related direct deposits go to NFCU.  Then I would get a secured loan with NFCU, and use the proceeds from the secured loan to get a secured credit card.  In about 6 months, you should be good to go in order to get a regular credit card and unsecured loans.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HindSight_20_20 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@LOLL @ O6!     As far as I am concerned, NFCU walks on water.

I was just thinking about you O6, how'd things go with the USAA venture? R U in yet?  I was coming here to post how NFCU just approved me for a consumer loan!!! (just for the mix of credit and to pay my current cards with them) but I was like WOW NFCU is 'untouchable'! with USAA a close very close second!

Again 'ANYthing' you can get from NFCU 'jump on it'!!! they will bend over backwards to serve you!

USAA is another that, in my opinion, is excellent.  I love how their pre-approvals really are solid approvals.

Just out of curiosity, what APR did you get on the NFCU personal loan?  Did they require additional income documentation?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.