Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Open Sky a good secured card?

tag
iMarcus
Contributor

Is Open Sky a good secured card?

I have no credit cards and I cant get approved for any unsecured cards and I need a good starting card to start buidling my credit score.. Im a member of nfcu but I cant put $500 for a secured card right now. I heard Open sky doesnt do any credit checks either and I cant afford a hard pull..,

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is Open Sky a good secured card?

If you are looking for a good secured card with no credit check, look into SDFCU. 

https://www.sdfcu.org/creditcards

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 2 of 14
iMarcus
Contributor

Wow thanks looks good do they report to all three credit bureaus and as an unsecured credit card?
Message 3 of 14
BirthdayBoy

Open Sky is pretty terrible. There is no grace period on interest, so you begin accruing interest the moment you make a purchase.

Message 4 of 14
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

@iMarcus wrote:
Wow thanks looks good do they report to all three credit bureaus and as an unsecured credit card?

It reports to all 3 but as a secured card. If you can't get approved and need to avoid inquiries, this is by far your best option. Though, once you get membership from SDFCU, make sure you apply for the card over the phone. I remember someone mentioning they may HP if done online.

If you could take inquiries, then there are some other options that report as unsecured or can graduate. What do your inquiry totals look like and what are they from?

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

Message 5 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

What does your file look like? and what unsecured cards have you applied for? 

SDFCU reports as secured, but as a previous poster said, they won't HP for the card. 99.99% sure they HP for membership though, so it is basically the same thing (except you're getting in with a CU, which is always great). 

the cap1 secured card does a HP on all 3 reports, but reports as unsecured. 

Message 6 of 14
goosedog
Regular Contributor

dang, wish i knew about this card before i got my merrick card with a 36 annual fee and 17.99 APR. Oh well, at least Merrick does give me my FICO score each month for free like the Walmart card.

I may just go ahead and open another secured card with them since no credit check as they say, and the APR can't be beat for a secured card, specially with no annual fee.

Does someone have to be a govt employee to get this card since it says state department?

Message 7 of 14
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Like Penfed, SDFCU can be joined by donating a membership fee to their affiliate organization. I think it's the American Consumer Council or something like that.

Message 8 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@BirthdayBoy wrote:

Open Sky is pretty terrible. There is no grace period on interest, so you begin accruing interest the moment you make a purchase.

Pretty much a CreditOne card Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 14
goosedog
Regular Contributor

Well i just applied for the a SDFCU account, said  i should hear back in 48 hours about my app.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.