Established Contributor
jbh

Is Providian A Good "2nd Step" CC?

Hey,

I've been looking for a card to go after in the next few months just in case I feel I am not strong enough for Amex. I've noticed through a credit pull database that Providian seems to give $1k-$2k to TU scores over 620, even with collections. Have you noticed the same thing? Am I to assume they are a lenient lender that's considered more of an 'easy app' than the citi's/chase's of the world?

Thanks

PS. When my util is down I should be mid/higher 600's all things = with TU
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar

Re: Is Providian A Good "2nd Step" CC?

jbh wrote:
Hey,

I've been looking for a card to go after in the next few months just in case I feel I am not strong enough for Amex. I've noticed through a credit pull database that Providian seems to give $1k-$2k to TU scores over 620, even with collections. Have you noticed the same thing? Am I to assume they are a lenient lender that's considered more of an 'easy app' than the citi's/chase's of the world?

Thanks

PS. When my util is down I should be mid/higher 600's all things = with TU

Providian doesn't exist anymore, and hasn't for quite some time.  I'm assuming you're referring to WaMu?

----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Established Contributor
jbh

Interesting. I wasn't sure of that. Yes, from the credit pull db it mentions Wamu/Providian.

I am probably to assume, then, that those glory days are over? Or is Wamu known for being a lenient lender and not as demanding as Amex/Citi/Higher End cards.
Valued Contributor
jmbfl

Wait until your scores are up - then pre-app BofA through website.
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar

jbh wrote:
Interesting. I wasn't sure of that. Yes, from the credit pull db it mentions Wamu/Providian.

I am probably to assume, then, that those glory days are over? Or is Wamu known for being a lenient lender and not as demanding as Amex/Citi/Higher End cards.

The general consensus is that WaMu falls in the range of "better than subprime but not quite prime."

WaMu has been very good to me.  They gave me 15 1/2 x my highest reporting limit when I applied for their rewards card in April, so I'm probably a little biased.

----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Established Contributor

[ Edited ]
I like my wamu card I applied 9/07 in may the gave me 1k CLI +cash back up to that timeI had spent less than $400 and had 3 cycles with no balance.

Message Edited by rbbyrbsn on 08-13-2008 01:35 PM
People say "Only apply for credit you NEED"

I say "apply for credit you have PRATICAL use of"

I don't have AMEX card because I don't want a card that suffers from PMS

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}