cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Sams Club store card always this crappy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Sams Club store card always this crappy?

Honestly I wouldn't sweat the low SL. Some of the Sync cards especially the store cards can be a bit odd with the SL and the Sam's PLCC especially so with the odd limits and them being unwilling to budge right away. Let the first statement cut and them hit them up via chat or call Credit Solutions and I'd be willing to bet that you can bump it to 5 or 6k. I got my Sam's PLCC in Sept 2015 with an oddball $437 limit and they absolutely would not budge until the first statement cut and then I was able to bump it up to 4k and then 5k a month after that. Today a little over a year later it's now at 10k and I have a Sam's MC at 20k and a Sam's Business MC also at 20k. 

Message 11 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly I wouldn't sweat the low SL. Some of the Sync cards especially the store cards can be a bit odd with the SL and the Sam's PLCC especially so with the odd limits and them being unwilling to budge right away. Let the first statement cut and them hit them up via chat or call Credit Solutions and I'd be willing to bet that you can bump it to 5 or 6k. I got my Sam's PLCC in Sept 2015 with an oddball $437 limit and they absolutely would not budge until the first statement cut and then I was able to bump it up to 4k and then 5k a month after that. Today a little over a year later it's now at 10k and I have a Sam's MC at 20k and a Sam's Business MC also at 20k. 

+1

Very true... with my Sam's Club MC I started with a credit line of $1500; ten months later I was at $20k.  Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 25
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Resurrecting my old thread to say I just closed my Sam's Club account. In my OP I expressed my surprise & disappointment at getting only a stupid $737 SL when I apped last Nov. I gave them a try, paid off the $300 initial purchase, made a couple other purchases & PIF. I waited for the 4 month mark and then requested a CLI - immediate rejection "your account is not eligible for a credit increase!, we'll mail you a letter in 7 days". Too fast a rejection to have pulled my CR, but I've had a CK report since then to verify no new inquiry.

I'm good with Synchrony but certainly not over extended with them - Walmart card w/$6k CL that started at $1200 in 2013, and Lowes w/$5k; there's just something screwy with the Sam Club division.

With Discover extending discount clubs 5% rewards for Q2, if I want to buy something from Sam's Club I'll use my Disco w/$10,100 CL & 5% rewards. Screw Sams Club cards. Smiley Mad

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear you closed it.  Next io Disco its my favorite card. But as always what works for one does not work for others. 

Message 14 of 25
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Do you have the MasterCard? I saw nothing to like about the store card - no rewards like Walmartn no 0% on large purchases like Wal-Mart & Lowes. Add in by far my lowest CL = no reason to keep the crap account.
Message 15 of 25
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Good job for closing Sam's Store card. Its pretty useless! Not to mention the high APR.

I have Sam's MC, a great card in most places except Sam's Club lol

Discover seems to be the best card to use in Sam's 😃

Message 16 of 25
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Yeah, the Sam's offerings are pretty worthless in store.  You do get the gas % back though at the gas pumps but, general purchases don't earn more then 1% which is just stupid.  Disco for the first 6 months of the year are 5% and if you're in your first year that comes out to 10% when they double it.  Switching to the 5% has added up already for the first few months in comparison to just running it through AMEX or Debit.  I'm wondering when AMEX will jump on the bandwagon and add warehouse to their lineup.  The only thing the PLCC/MC offer is a good utilization buffer either through the button to $10K or making the overseas call to CS and topping out at $25K w/o POI.  Other than the buffer there's not much to them.  There can be though if you can't get into some of the mainline cards with the rewards on the MC but, the store is useless for the most part. 

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I like the MC for everything but shopping at Sams Club.  Go figure.

I have also heard of people getting easier approvals in-store.  If the OP would be willing to make the drive (not that I would blame him for not), I would recommend stopping in and seeing if you could get a real-life SCT in-store before your membership expires.

Message 18 of 25
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I like the MC for everything but shopping at Sams Club.  Go figure.

I have also heard of people getting easier approvals in-store.  If the OP would be willing to make the drive (not that I would blame him for not), I would recommend stopping in and seeing if you could get a real-life SCT in-store before your membership expires.

When I was closing the store card it gave me a warning that you can only be approved for any Sams Club card once every 12 months. And yeah, the only Sams Club in Tucson AZ is very inconveninent for me. I think I'll work on getting my Walmart store card converted to a MC, but I'm in the garden until the fall - BK7 discharged 1/2011, the 7 derog accounts fall off over the next few months and I'll get my util under 10%.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I swear i saw 45 $ statement credit if you make purchase on the same day and there was no mention of it has to be an in store purchase!. However i am glad that i was not approved for both store card or mc because i thought of visiting the nearest ( which was 20 minutes away) sam's club and see if its worth keeping the membership and both me and my husband didnt find anything in there that made us feel that we want the membership. I would have bought pet food wholesale but we didnot have many choices . So i went ahead and cancelled my membership and got the full refund of 45$ back ( they gave me cash though i paid using credit card ). Also we saw long queues for checking out of the store ,members had to show purchase receipts to security before getting out of the store. 

I only became a member because i wanted sams club Mc ,i thought since synchrony approved me for ebay &  marvel mc and upgraded my walart store card to Mc i would be approved for sams club Mc. But i was not perhaps because of my recent app spree. Anyways i have aarp as my daiy card since it gives 3% cash back on gas & food

We also went to costco to see if its worth getting membership there but found it just like sams club not useful to us personally , so for now i prefer walmart & amazon ( they seem to have much more varieties of petfood and acccessories  ) and pricechopper for our grocery needs. With Amex BCE I get 3% on pricechopper purchases.and with walmart mc i get special financing and 3% on walmart.com purchases and with chase prime rewards i get 5% on amazon purchases. So that works out for us. Besides even walmart ccs had 35$ statement credit for getting approved and making a purchase on the sameday ,and we got that credit without any problems back in december 2015

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.