Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Target RedCard Credit any good?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Target RedCard Credit any good?

Wow I am suprised with the negative comments about the card. I'll hold on to my debit then.
Message 11 of 15
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

IIRC, the only reason why I got the credit version of the card was for the free shipping, as that was the biggest/only difference between the two (aside from the whole credit/debit difference, which didn't matter to me because PIF anyway). I somehow got super lucky with a $3k SL. Of course, my income increased about 4-fold since I got the card, and I have never gotten a CLI, despite updating my income regularly.

Since both cards come with free shipping, I wouldn't waste the HP for the credit version. 

Message 12 of 15
grizindabox
Valued Member

I have had the RedCard Credit for about a couple years.  Initial $1000 cl, up to $1700 now.  We got it primarily because we live within 5 minutes from a store and we like to use credit as opposed to debit.  We have never had an issue.

Message 13 of 15
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have a Target RedCard Debit. I enjoy the 5% rewards very much, as it compensates the 8.75% sales tax here in San Francisco. I was wondering if I should look into applying for the RedCard Credit, or should I just stay on my Debit for good?

There are general benefits that apply to credit over debit.   If the card is compromised, credit is definitely better, since you're not actually out the cash.   Debit cards can tie up your bank funds while fraud is being resolved.   Although usually they will resolve as quickly as possible, that can be an issue if you have an immediate need for that cash.   Also, the grace period is another benefit of credit over debit (resolving balance by due date vs funds immediately going to charges).

Aside from those general benefits, the only other one I can think of is that the redCard reports as a bankcard ("credit card") instead of a store card ("charge card," "charge account," etc).   If you don't need any of those benefits or don't want an HP on EQ, then you might be better off remaining with the debit card.   Also, redCard is notorious for smallish CLs.   Mine is $1K and has remained there since opening.   This is adequate for me, but might be a problem for those who make large purchases at Target.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the red card for years and the 5% discount is great.  I wouldn't app for the charge card, Target credit lines are so low, they arent worth it to me.  

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.