cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is There Any Real Benefit to Keeping AMEX/Discover Cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is There Any Real Benefit to Keeping AMEX/Discover Cards?

So I went a bit app crazy a few years back. I have apped for 15, approved for 14, and closed 6 for a total of 8 open accounts.

I kept my AMEX/Discover cards just to be in network with them but I am unsure about keeping them open. What types of benefits do they provide that are unique from Visa? Is it important to maintain relationships with as many of the big banks as possible?
Message 1 of 67
66 REPLIES 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is There Any Real Benefit to Keeping AMEX/Discover Cards?

Can’t speak about Discover cause I don’t have one and have no desire to get one either. 

As for AMEX I like it for the 6% back on groceries and AMEX offers. I usually get pretty good value out of my BCP. Fits my expend pattern. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 67
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I know Discover has been closing alot of its benefits that most of didnt realize we had lol . So for most there probably isnt a huge reason to have one but for me personally, i came back to her because i like having US based customer service who are friendly to work with and really good fraud protection. I get instant email and text alerts when i make a purchase , i know you can get this elsewhere, but i like the general feeling i get having it, no pun intended lol. Sp cli when you can get one is s nice bonus. Sometimes you can get multiple in a year whereas not every cc does that.

Amex has alot of benefits that seems nice to have . True if you arent spending huge , redeeming cash or mr points are hard to accumalate but overall id rather have at least one of each in my wallet.
Message 3 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ha you just reminded me that I still have an upgrade offer from them for my BCE to BCP...my grocery costs as of right now are less than 2K a year so I might keep it around for when I have a long-term partner. Smiley Happy And the “Plan-It" program seems pretty cool for if you are in a slight pinch with your finances.
Message 4 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will say that I do enjoy Discover Deals. If I hadn't needed the special financing from Apple (my computer was going on the fritz), I would have preferred to use the 5% Cashback from Discover.
Message 5 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
So I went a bit app crazy a few years back. I have apped for 15, approved for 14, and closed 6 for a total of 8 open accounts.

I kept my AMEX/Discover cards just to be in network with them but I am unsure about keeping them open. What types of benefits do they provide that are unique from Visa? Is it important to maintain relationships with as many of the big banks as possible?

Nope, other lenders offer better cards. 

At the top, the Chase Sapphire Reserve, UR points, Citi Prestige, U.S Bank Altitude Reserve... Those are all better than what AMEX gives their customers. 

On the other hand, however, the AMEX Platinum is only good if you have the Schwab version IMO, or if you get a 100,000 points offer or use Delta or Centurion lounges. Other than that, there's nothing great about it  when compared to US Bank's, Chase's, or Citi's $400 annual fee cards, which I think are better than the Plat. The rewards and benefits program is just meh compared to the other cards, in my opinion. AMEX offers $200 towards airline incidentals (the least amount) with the most restrictive ways to use them of the three (Citi, AMEX, Chase) by making you choose one airline a year to use it for.  AMEX doesn't have trip cancellation/interruption insurance (which is ridiculous and downright stupid) so to me, it's not worth the 5x on airfare purchases when I can get more benefits and 3x with Citi and Chase. I guess being from the northeast with the constant winter weather, trip insurance is a must. The card then "drip feeds" $15 a month for you to use with Uber, which is another non-friendly benefit IMO when they could just give you all $200 at once. Then we have the 5x on hotels, but wait, that's only if you book through AMEX's hotels site, taking away hotel loyalty perks for your stay, and then of course, the annual fee is more than all of the other cards by $100-$200 a year on top of it, and then let me see now... No dining category for points, useless 5x on airfare and AMEX hotels though their site, and 1x on everything else. Overrated card IMO.  

Blue Cash cards? Forget about them, they're the worst in the industry from a rewards prespective. They look pretty but there's an extra statement lag behind when you'll get the rewards, and then you can only redeem $25 at a time, which makes this rewards program an industry leader in stupidity. 6% back isn't actually 6% unless you watch your rewards program like a hawk and can redeem in those $25 increments.  

The Green card? Useless. No benefits, 1x on everything except purchases through AMEX travel, $95 annual fee. No idea why AMEX hasn't woken up and improved this card yet. 

If AMEX were still taking the cardholder's side no matter what, providing a superior rewards program, and could get their stuff together, I think they would be doing better, although they just grabbed the remainder of Hilton and will share Marriott in the future, so they have that going for them. The only cards worth using are the co-brands, PRG, and Everyday. The co-brands at least post their rewards at the end of the month, and the Delta cards are only worth having for the free checked bags and companion ticket. 

I would say from a personal prespective that Discover is a better lender. At least my rewards post at the end of the statement, I get matched on my spending bonus at the end of the first year, there's no $25 minimum or redemption increments, I know there will be an American on the other side of the line when I call, and their deals are more worthwhile than "AMEX offers." it's too bad Discover doesn't have a premium rewards card. 

Message 6 of 67
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

"Just to be in network" is no longer a good reason to keep a card that doesn't benefit you in other ways. There are almost no situations where Amex or Discover will be accepted but Visa and MasterCard will not.  As for banks, you'll be fine maintaining relationships with two or three.  And remember that banks value those who hold deposit accounts and installment loans far more than those who merely have one of the bank's credit cards.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuywrote:

"Just to be in network" is no longer a good reason to keep a card that doesn't benefit you in other ways. There are almost no situations where Amex or Discover will be accepted but Visa and MasterCard will not.  As for banks, you'll be fine maintaining relationships with two or three.  And remember that banks value those who hold deposit accounts and installment loans far more than those who merely have one of the bank's credit cards.

Maybe, but it depends. 

If one has an open checking account with on average, a $50 in it, they bank cannot lend that money out and make a whole lot in return. If that same person has a $6,500 balance on a 21.24% interest rate card, they are more valuable as a credit card holder. 

Message 8 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the input. I currently have relationships with AMEX, Barclay's, Chase, Discover, Synchrony (plus a high-yield savings account), and USAA (my primary bank).
Message 9 of 67
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

There's nothing that American Express or Discover as a card type do that you can't get with Visa or MasterCard. From an acceptance perspective, American Express and Discover are actually worse than Visa or MasterCard as Visa/MC are accepted at more merchants worldwide.

Individual cards within each network may offer something unique, but nothing brand-wide.

Message 10 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.