cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is There Anyone Out There Who Hasn't Had Adverse Action...

tag
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

Re: Is There Anyone Out There Who Hasn't Had Adverse Action...

Although I was repeatedly assured by what seemed like everyone on ths forum beginning two years ago that Amex would get me; that Chase would get me; that BoA would also, and on and on; I have had no action different from what I have always received

I don't have perfect credit, But I have very good credit. I think the key is longevity. As we all know a good looking credit report is only as good as the moment you bring it up. But , if you have years of bringing up such reports, the banks you deal with take notice.

My aprs are at an all time low. I get a lot of promotions at 0 interest for longer periods than ever. My limits are fine and I am encouraged to use them which I do very moderately.

I don't believe I am special in anyway; I think that conservative activity and reasonable expectations over a period of time leads to a very special place in credit. Ultamately, you can't beat a good record coming up repeatedly month after month, year after year. It wasn't always so and some of my largest accounts are with banks that I defaulted with.

If I could do it anyone could.......................I DON'T APP AND NEVER DID.

CI

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have very heavy useage.  While I PIF on a regular basis, I very regularly have large balances across my credit portfolio report.  This is because I use my credit for business purposes, often for inventory turns or other things.

But I have done this for years and for the most part, nobody has every said boo, a couple exceptions:

I've had a couple:

1.  Chase (former WAMU) CLD from 3.5k to 1k, then 2 months later closed. 

2.  Juni Biz MC CLD from 15k, to 13.75k to 12.9k...I think they are balance chasing.

On the other hand and quite surprisingly, PenFed just "gave" me a new AMEX card that I didn't apply for nor ever accepted any preapproved offer.  I just logged in and it was active in my accounts.  At first I was worried somebody had applied or done ID funny things...but it was a new issue card, zero use.  I transferred $500 from AMEX to checking...worked.  I've never had a CU or bank just give an account that wasn't formally applied for an an offer accepted....strange, but true in this case.

txjohn

Message 12 of 27
fused
Moderator Emeritus

How on planet Earth did I forget to mention the dreaded FR with Amex? Yikes! I should have also asked about charging and payment habits. I'm sure these play a big part in all of this.

Message 13 of 27
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I had a 50% reduction in CL by BofA back whenever it was that they were doing this to pretty much everyone, but I called and mumbled vaguely about planning a BT, and they restored it. I finally got around to doing the BT maybe 8-9 months later, when they finally offered a good enough deal.

I've gotten several CLI's with different cards in the meantime (AmEx Blue, Best Buy store, PenFed, J.Crew.) PenFed pre-approved me for the AmEx, so I took that one.

Many of my APR's went up, but it was just that general thing that I think we all experienced. Doesn't matter to me, since I PIF. Several have gone down since then.

Otherwise, nothing.

I used all my bank cards pretty much monthly and the store cards every 4-6 months. I'm always a bit anxious about Best Buy, because we all know about HSBC, but it's still open, and my CL has gone up to $5,200. (originally $4K)

I PIF before statement date on all of them except for the BT, and except when one slips by. For those, I PIF as soon as I see it, well before the due date. I don't carry balances on any of them (other than the BT and maybe a very rare 0% purchase APR.) If a card ever requires me to carry a balance to make them happy, then to hell with them, I'll close it in a New Yawk minute.

Only negatives are random lates on multiple accounts. The last one is over 3 years old. Over the last 18 months or so, or whenver everything started going blooie, my scores have risen from the 720-740 range to the current 760's-770's. Um, what else --I have an open mortgage and an open installment loan, although I don't think that they are that important. You never know what goes through the squirrelly little brains of CCC's, though.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband and I and my business all had the limits on our credit cards lowered. We called (Chase) and asked that they be returned to where they were and they did! They simply said it costs them money to carry high limits on customer's cards and it appeared that we didn't need the high limits. We said we wanted them and they said fine! Try it!

Message 15 of 27
LEXiiON
Valued Member

taken against them by a bank or a CCC?

When I say AA, it can include any of the following:

1.) credit limit decrease -NO

2.) account closed for misbehaving -NO

3.) account closed from lack of use -NO

4.) APR went up - NO

5.) an unwanted "upgrade" -NO

6.) any change in the way your CC reports to CRAs -NO

I'm sure there are more AAs that have been taken against most of us, but these seem to be the most common ones.

If you're a person that has not had AA taken against you, please share your situation with the rest of us.

What are your FICO scores? EQ 719 - TU 709

Are your reports clean, a little dirty, or very dirty? If a little dirty or worse, what are your negatives and how old are they? Paid or unpaid? CLEAN

How long is your credit history? 9 years, AAoA 3 years

What is your overall and individual CC utilization? 0-7%

Have you apped for CCs or other loans in the last year? If so, how many times? How many inqs in the last 12 months? 7 INQ EQ - 4 INQ TU

I fully expect to find no more than 10 forum members that have had no AA taken against them.:smileyvery-happy: 

Discuss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 16 of 27
score_building
Senior Contributor

@CHARGE_IT wrote:

Although I was repeatedly assured by what seemed like everyone on ths forum beginning two years ago that Amex would get me; that Chase would get me; that BoA would also, and on and on; I have had no action different from what I have always received

I don't have perfect credit, But I have very good credit. I think the key is longevity. As we all know a good looking credit report is only as good as the moment you bring it up. But , if you have years of bringing up such reports, the banks you deal with take notice.

My aprs are at an all time low. I get a lot of promotions at 0 interest for longer periods than ever. My limits are fine and I am encouraged to use them which I do very moderately.

I don't believe I am special in anyway; I think that conservative activity and reasonable expectations over a period of time leads to a very special place in credit. Ultamately, you can't beat a good record coming up repeatedly month after month, year after year. It wasn't always so and some of my largest accounts are with banks that I defaulted with.

If I could do it anyone could.......................I DON'T APP AND NEVER DID.

CI

I took it more as a cautionary 'card holder beware -this is what is happening to a lot of different types of card holders'--not an assurance that a ccc was gonna get me, an important distinction I think:  hope for the best and plan for the worst. I've sorta debated if I should post my experience here, I thought I might even though I have dealt with AA, it has been blessedly minimal, and IIRC in each case reversible.

Definitely happy to hear it worked out for a deserving card holder, however from the info you shared about your profile there are several people with apparently similar (or perhaps even stronger) profiles (fused and MattH come to my mind) who were hosed down in some fashion.  No offense, but I think it would mistaken to assume that a strong profile alone kept you out of the AA loop and that there was no luck, etc. involved in you remaining unscathed.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 17 of 27
upperleft
Valued Member

I don't know what number we're on, but I guess I'm one of the 10 (or more) - no AAs at all.
Quoting: 

1.) credit limit decrease >> Nope. Got one unrequested increase from AMEX, others have remained the same.

2.) account closed for misbehaving >> Nope.

3.) account closed from lack of use >> Nope - even though I have a Chase CC that I've not touched in over 3 years. They just sent me a new one to replace an expired (unused) one, too.

4.) APR went up >> Have to check on this, but I think no. AMEX - no, BofA, no - Discover, no. I don't know the APR on the aforementioned Chase VISA, 'cause the effective APR on $0 is still $0. Smiley Happy

5.) an unwanted "upgrade" >> Um.. not sure what you mean by this, but no.

6.) any change in the way your CC reports to CRAs >> Got me. I don't track this much detail regularly. I know my score has just inched up, save for a couple of times when I had known and intended inquiries, where there was a two-month or so tiny blip.

"If you're a person that has not had AA taken against you, please share your situation with the rest of us."

OK! Smiley Happy

What are your FICO scores? > 790-804 range, as of about two months ago.

Are your reports clean, a little dirty, or very dirty? If a little dirty or worse, what are your negatives and how old are they? Paid or unpaid? >> Clean now, but they sure were dirty 10 years ago. In fact, I'm pretty convinced that the reason they're clean now, and why I've had no AA issues - I was in the pit of credit yuckiness, and dragged myself out of it on my own. Since I didn't BK when I could've, I'm probably considered very low risk. I defaulted on nothing, I paid stuff way late sometimes - but I paid it all. Not saying that's right for everyone, but I do suspect that somewhere it flags me as someone who'll almost certainly never BK.

How long is your credit history? >> Oldest active anything is the boring AMEX charge card - 1993. My credit history itself dates to 1986, though.

What is your overall and individual CC utilization? >> Overall, probably around 10% right now. I have a BofA that's at about 40% temporarily, but it bounces up there and gets paid off within a couple of months, so there's a pattern that they know, and I doubt if the algorithm flags me as a result.

Have you apped for CCs or other loans in the last year? If so, how many times? How many inqs in the last 12 months? >> I had an inquiry for a residential lease just about 12 months ago. Zero consequence at all.  Another for ATT UVerse, and one other for something - can't remember what - but again, barely touched the points, and rolled off fast.

I fully expect to find no more than 10 forum members that have had no AA taken against them.Smiley Very Happy 

Am I on your list? Smiley Happy 

02/09 - TU 787 * EQ - 795 * EX-791
Message 18 of 27
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@upperleft wrote:

I don't know what number we're on, but I guess I'm one of the 10 (or more) - no AAs at all.
Quoting: 

1.) credit limit decrease >> Nope. Got one unrequested increase from AMEX, others have remained the same.

2.) account closed for misbehaving >> Nope.

3.) account closed from lack of use >> Nope - even though I have a Chase CC that I've not touched in over 3 years. They just sent me a new one to replace an expired (unused) one, too.

4.) APR went up >> Have to check on this, but I think no. AMEX - no, BofA, no - Discover, no. I don't know the APR on the aforementioned Chase VISA, 'cause the effective APR on $0 is still $0. Smiley Happy

5.) an unwanted "upgrade" >> Um.. not sure what you mean by this, but no.

6.) any change in the way your CC reports to CRAs >> Got me. I don't track this much detail regularly. I know my score has just inched up, save for a couple of times when I had known and intended inquiries, where there was a two-month or so tiny blip.

"If you're a person that has not had AA taken against you, please share your situation with the rest of us."

OK! Smiley Happy

What are your FICO scores? > 790-804 range, as of about two months ago.

Are your reports clean, a little dirty, or very dirty? If a little dirty or worse, what are your negatives and how old are they? Paid or unpaid? >> Clean now, but they sure were dirty 10 years ago. In fact, I'm pretty convinced that the reason they're clean now, and why I've had no AA issues - I was in the pit of credit yuckiness, and dragged myself out of it on my own. Since I didn't BK when I could've, I'm probably considered very low risk. I defaulted on nothing, I paid stuff way late sometimes - but I paid it all. Not saying that's right for everyone, but I do suspect that somewhere it flags me as someone who'll almost certainly never BK.

How long is your credit history? >> Oldest active anything is the boring AMEX charge card - 1993. My credit history itself dates to 1986, though.

What is your overall and individual CC utilization? >> Overall, probably around 10% right now. I have a BofA that's at about 40% temporarily, but it bounces up there and gets paid off within a couple of months, so there's a pattern that they know, and I doubt if the algorithm flags me as a result.

Have you apped for CCs or other loans in the last year? If so, how many times? How many inqs in the last 12 months? >> I had an inquiry for a residential lease just about 12 months ago. Zero consequence at all.  Another for ATT UVerse, and one other for something - can't remember what - but again, barely touched the points, and rolled off fast.

I fully expect to find no more than 10 forum members that have had no AA taken against them.Smiley Very Happy 

Am I on your list? Smiley Happy 

You certainly are!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:

taken against them by a bank or a CCC?

When I say AA, it can include any of the following:

1.) credit limit decrease-----NO

2.) account closed for misbehaving ---NO, but I did get spanked once last year by my wife for tracking mud into the house.

3.) account closed from lack of use---NO, use them all (we only have 4) quite a bit each month

4.) APR went up----NO

5.) an unwanted "upgrade"----NO. They did change my card to a BANKAMERICARD when it renewed, as they said I was a "legacy" customer. I've had the account since 1973. They also doubled the credit Limit, which I had NOT asked for. They had informed me of all this before the old card expired and I told them I had no issues with it, as long as everything stayed the same.

6.) any change in the way your CC reports to CRAs-----NO

I'm sure there are more AAs that have been taken against most of us, but these seem to be the most common ones.

If you're a person that has not had AA taken against you, please share your situation with the rest of us.

What are your FICO scores? I have NO IDEA, never checked. Only thing I know is I asked my friend at the bank once and he assured me they were high enough to get any credit product they offered, so I have little need to know.

Are your reports clean, a little dirty, or very dirty? If a little dirty or worse, what are your negatives and how old are they? Paid or unpaid? I do SEE my CREDIT REPORTS at least twice a year. Nothing on their of a negative nature.

How long is your credit history? -----BANKAMERICARD , 1973

What is your overall and individual CC utilization?----we charge approx, $3000-$4000 per month. That utilization would be under 3%. We are also PIFers

Have you apped for CCs or other loans in the last year? If so, how many times? How many inqs in the last 12 months? --NO, last credit app I filled out was in Feb 2001 and that was to join a local country club.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.