Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is USAA Known to AA New Customers?

tag
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Is USAA Known to AA New Customers?

I just got my 12k amex in the mail courtesy of AA. We are going on a trip next month and I was originally thinking of charging the tickets and hotel on my new Chase Freedom. But after reading that Chase has been known to CLD people who do crazy purchases when they are brand new, I am thinking of charging the trip on my USAA card. Sadly I will miss out on rewards, but hoping I won't get any kind of adverse action.

Has anyone ever charged 2000 on a USAA card and had no problems? I'm brand new to their cards. Haven't even made a single purchase and don't want to set off red flags with my first purchase. I'd rather use my ATM/VISA if I'm going to set off red flags somewhere.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
HappySoda
Valued Member

Re: Is USAA Known to AA New Customers?

They approved you for a high limit with intention of letting you use it. Charge away.

Message 2 of 9
paulbrapp
New Contributor

When I first got my World MC I did a cash advance to my checking for $1500 with no AA.

Message 3 of 9
Elcid89
Contributor

@paulbrapp wrote:

When I first got my World MC I did a cash advance to my checking for $1500 with no AA.

Ditto. Cash advances from USAA cards to USAA checking accounts is how one avoids their balance transfer fee. They do not, in my experience anyway, question usage based solely on the amount of a transaction. It shouldn't create any stirrings at anti-fraud.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 4 of 9
LesWH
Established Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@paulbrapp wrote:

Ditto. Cash advances from USAA cards to USAA checking accounts is how one avoids their balance transfer fee. They do not, in my experience anyway, question usage based solely on the amount of a transaction. It shouldn't create any stirrings at anti-fraud.

That's interesting.  Are you saying if you do a cash advance into a USAA checking account from a USAA credit card there is no balance transfer fee?  I've never heard of that.  If so, that's pretty good.

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 5 of 9
Elcid89
Contributor

@LesWH wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

@paulbrapp wrote:

That's interesting.  Are you saying if you do a cash advance into a USAA checking account from a USAA credit card there is no balance transfer fee?  I've never heard of that.  If so, that's pretty good.

USAA doesn't charge a fee to cash advance to a USAA checking account. So, if you want to transfer a balance to USAA, cash advance the money to your USAA checking and then pay the other card off from that checking acct. Presto - free balance transfer.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 6 of 9
LesWH
Established Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@LesWH wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

@paulbrapp wrote:

USAA doesn't charge a fee to cash advance to a USAA checking account. So, if you want to transfer a balance to USAA, cash advance the money to your USAA checking and then pay the other card off from that checking acct. Presto - free balance transfer.

That's a pretty good deal!!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 7 of 9
Elcid89
Contributor

@LesWH wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

@LesWH wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

@paulbrapp wrote:

That's a pretty good deal!!

Yup, it is, depending on the rate for the USAA card. They gave me 5.95% on my Rate Advantage MC, so I used this procedure once to pay off an existing personal line. Saved about 4% in interest.

Message 8 of 9
mistabgeez
New Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@LesWH wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

@paulbrapp wrote:

When I accepted the offer on this card in December, they gave me 0% interest on balance transfers and convenience checks through 07/2014. I would love to take advantage of what you posted regarding the balance transfer fee and pay 0% through next July. I've only had my USAA membership a few months. How would I be able to do this? Do I sign one of the convenience checks over to myself and try to deposit it by taking a picture of it? There are no USAA branches where I live. Is there a way to do it on the website? Thanks for your help.

AMEX BCE $15,500 Citi Double Cash $8,700 USAA $6,000
Chase Freedom $2,500 Discover It $10,600
M & T Visa $2,500 CU Visa $10,000, BOAmericard $7,500
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.