cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Western Union Speedpay treated as a cash advance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Western Union Speedpay treated as a cash advance?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.  I didn't feel like it really fit in the other topic areas.  Anyway, my utility (PSE&G) allows me to pay by credit card but it uses Western Union Speedpay in order to do so.  Is this treated as a cash advance?  Obviously there is a fee.  I'm only doing this to help towards my sign up bonus on my Arrival+ and having it treated as a cash advance obviously would make it pointless.  Any help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Is Western Union Speedpay treated as a cash advance?

YES!! I learned that the hard way. Diners charged me a cash advance fee. Smiley Mad
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.  I didn't feel like it really fit in the other topic areas.  Anyway, my utility (PSE&G) allows me to pay by credit card but it uses Western Union Speedpay in order to do so.  Is this treated as a cash advance?  Obviously there is a fee.  I'm only doing this to help towards my sign up bonus on my Arrival+ and having it treated as a cash advance obviously would make it pointless.  Any help is appreciated.

I'm fairly sure that most cc companies consider it as a cash advance.  Maybe someone with actual experience will come along.

Message 3 of 9
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Yes, it is.
Message 4 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

mmmmmm, I do the same thing with my Util, and i didn't think anything about it!! They charge me an extra $3.00, on top of my payment. Im trying to think which card I used....hang on let me go dbl check and confirm if I was charge a cash advance fee or not from the CCC...BRB...
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is... I also learn the hard way..

Message 6 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
mmmmmm, I do the same thing with my Util, and i didn't think anything about it!! They charge me an extra $3.00, on top of my payment. Im trying to think which card I used....hang on let me go dbl check and confirm if I was charge a cash advance fee or not from the CCC...BRB...

ok im back...

I used my Sallie Mae CC, and there were no add'l fees on Barclays end. Just the $3.00 fee that the util company charged me to use the WU service, and they added  that to my payment amount.

Message 7 of 9
JLK93
Established Contributor

I paid my Southwest Gas bill through Western Union Speedpay to meet the minimum spend on my Citi AAdvantage card. It coded as a purchase.

The category was UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER.

I have paid the same bill with AMEX cards in the past, for the same reason, and it always coded as a purchase. It listed on the statement as:

SWGASPAYMENT/SPEEDPA877-860-6020 NV

Category: Other - Utilities

Message 8 of 9
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Maybe others, like myself, get charged because we send money in someone's name and not a utility company. I know I incur like 3 different fees for sending money through WU.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.