Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a Discover Card good?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is a Discover Card good?

I got the discover more (1%cash back on every purchase and 5% on selective) I like it and hope to get another discover card soon. One question for all those out there that have the same exact card, how did you get 0% APR for life. I got 0% for 7 months and then got suck with a variable 16.9%
Message 11 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I received 0% for life. I received BT of 0% for 12 months and 0% on new purchases for 6 months. My APR is 10.99%
Message 12 of 42
cantretire
Contributor

Thought I'd give you the update.

They gave me $4,000, no fees at all.  The 0% is for the life of the BT and new purchases are 9.99% (I think, I have to read the paperwork again).

So, this will certainly help pay down my debt!
Message 13 of 42
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I want one for my mortgage!!!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 14 of 42
score_building
Senior Contributor

cantretire wrote:
Thought I'd give you the update.

They gave me $4,000, no fees at all.  The 0% is for the life of the BT and new purchases are 9.99% (I think, I have to read the paperwork again).

So, this will certainly help pay down my debt!

Ok, can i touch you, lol  I'm fairly certain 0 per cent for life is almost unheard these days and from Discover- who you rarely hear any consumer complaints about! you rock on!  SUPER CONGRATS!  be sure to treat it well so you can pay down your 'stupid' debt faster at a better rate!  does 'no fees at all' mean they aren't even charging a BT fee?  Good thing you read your 'junk mail' Smiley Happy
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 15 of 42
cantretire
Contributor

No BT fee!  I was surprised as well. Just 2 years ago AMEX gave me $6700, 2.99% for the life of the BT.  I just put a little over the minimum since my other card is higher.  Maybe that's why I have this one now.  My FICO's are 726-733 as of 6 weeks ago.  They would be higher if my debt was lower. 

I just make sure I pay my bills early.  Almost everything is automatic and the few that aren't, I check every payday to make sure everything is OK.  My 'big' card I actually pay twice or more a month. I put the minimum plus a little about a week to 10 days before the due date to cover the month.  Then with my next payday, I put another $150 or so to help paydown the balance. Also, anything I charge, I put that amount on it within about 48 hours, or at the very least, the next payday.

For instance, I just registered for a continuing ed class and bought something on line.  I'll figure out what the total of those are and pay it this week.  This way, I don't get myself in deeper yogurt.

I think the most important thing is to make sure EVERYTHING
Message 16 of 42
cantretire
Contributor

No BT fee!  I was surprised as well. Just 2 years ago AMEX gave me $6700, 2.99% for the life of the BT.  I just put a little over the minimum since my other card is higher.  Maybe that's why I have this one now.  My FICO's are 726-733 as of 6 weeks ago.  They would be higher if my debt was lower. 

I just make sure I pay my bills early.  Almost everything is automatic and the few that aren't, I check every payday to make sure everything is OK.  My 'big' card I actually pay twice or more a month. I put the minimum plus a little about a week to 10 days before the due date to cover the month.  Then with my next payday, I put another $150 or so to help paydown the balance. Also, anything I charge, I put that amount on it within about 48 hours, or at the very least, the next payday.

For instance, I just registered for a continuing ed class and bought something on line.  I'll figure out what the total of those are and pay it this week.  This way, I don't get myself in deeper yogurt.

I think the most important thing is to make sure EVERYTHING is
Message 17 of 42
cantretire
Contributor

(OK, that was wierd)

EVERYTHING is paid on time!  The rest will follow.

Wishing you all 0% BT dreams...

Message 18 of 42
score_building
Senior Contributor

I love how you handle your accounts (and so do your creditors apparently!) thanks for sharing the wonderful news... good to know that there are still some exceptionally good offers out there!

Message Edited by score_building on 09-08-2008 12:30 PM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 19 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love my Discover Card and just switched from the More card to the Open Road card, so I can 5.00% back on all gas and auto purchases.

Just make sure you read the fine print:

1.) The 5% back is only on the first $100.00 of purchases each month
2.) There are tiers for cash back on general purchases. You get 0.25% back for a little while before you actually get the full 1.00% back on general purchases. So when you buy a couple of $1,000.00 plane tickets, you only get $5.00 back because you only get 5.00% on the first $100.00.

When I found that out it went from an amazing card to a great card. Still pretty great though. I use my AmEx TE and my Discover Open Road almost exclusively.
Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.