Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a Discover Recon Hard Pull?

tag
TwinGirls19
Regular Contributor

Is a Discover Recon Hard Pull?

got to 710 from 620, decided to apply for discover... got denied,called them to recon... denied... could it have been the original inquiry or recon to bring me down??? i thought it was a fraud alert that lowered my score... went from 710 to 681... -29 points.... is it possible to get those back with the utilization. 2% on largest card and 0% on smallest??? WHAT can i do to get those back Smiley Sad transunion at 727 would love to have both at 7 darn it..

CURRENT SCORES: EX Fico (Amex) 730, TU Fico 745, EQ Fico 717

CURRENT CARDS: Amex Green NPSL, Amex BCE 2K, Chase Sapphire 5K, Citi Thankyou Preferred 3.5K, Discover It 1.7K, Walmart Discover 1.6K, Capital One Platinum 1.5K

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
londonhogfan
Contributor

Re: Is a Discover Recon Hard Pull?

that's a huge drop for an inquiry. Are you sure nothing else is wrong? I thought it was usually around a 5 point drop when you app.

Do you have another report that is better than whoever discover pulled the first time? My brother called in and had them pull Equifax during his 2nd recon with chase and they approved him on that report after declining using experian.

Good luck. I hope someone has a better answer for you than I did.

I'll be in the garden... FICO Score | TU-08: 732 in May 2013
Message 2 of 11
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

That's a pretty good drop in FICO. Have you checked your reports for possibly a new collection or do you have high utilization that reported?  If it is in fact utilization that's pulling it down, then paying your balances down before report date will definitely help your score. But since the drop was only on one CB, sounds like it may be some other kind of change in your report.

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 3 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Thats a hugh drop for 1 app...check your CR to be safe 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 11
TwinGirls19
Regular Contributor

this is why i originally thought it was the fraud alert added on the equifax. since the 710 the only thing thats change is A. fraud alert added and B. discover inquiry.. even i was suprised. 29 points thats huge... and currently im only at 1% utilization so it cant be that because the statement hasnt cut yet.  i was at 700's less than two weeks with eq. totally confused... 

CURRENT CARDS: Amex Green NPSL, Amex BCE 2K, Chase Sapphire 5K, Citi Thankyou Preferred 3.5K, Discover It 1.7K, Walmart Discover 1.6K, Capital One Platinum 1.5K

Message 5 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

As long as all bills were paid on time and with low UTL you should not see drops that big...be proactive and check your CR...better safe than sorry also when letter comes from denial see what it says and address the issues with a possible RECON. you already took the HP....Good Luck Best wishesSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 11
TwinGirls19
Regular Contributor

i already checked the report. like i said before only difference is fraud alert and discover inquiry which i recon'd and -29 points after that those this sound like protocol?

Message 7 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

PM sent

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 11
TwinGirls19
Regular Contributor

It's official checked the 710 report and the now 681 report and honestly the only difference is that one has a fraud alert 681 and the other does not 710. Both reports are reporting the discover February inquiry. This is what the 681 report reads"

Statements [?]
FRAUD VICTIM. "INITIAL ALERT". CONSUMER HAS REQUESTED AN ALERT BE PLACED ON THEIR CREDIT FILE. CONSUMER DID NOT PROVIDE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

Honestly I think this played into the decrease. It's a fraud alert by them not me.

Message 9 of 11
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

If you only have like 1 hp in two years, it could drop you that much.

Most posters here don't lose many points from our scores bc most of us are app happy and have 10+ inqs... Some even have 80+ haha

The first few inqs cause you to lose more points then the last ones...
I think "new credit" makes up 10-15% of your fico.
So if the max is 850.... Then "new credit" makes up a hundred points give or take.

Am I right? Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.