Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a Public Record a deal breaker?

tag
AdamNYC
Established Member

Is a Public Record a deal breaker?

My scores according to myFICO:  EX 741, EQ 730, TU 791

I have a tax lien that was filed in 2002 and paid off in 2010 that shows on my EX and EQ report, but not my TU report.  The only credit cards I have are securied cards with Cap1 and Orchard (now Cap1) with embarassingly tiny credit limits (less than 1K between both of them).  Util is around 3% just to get a good track record.  

About a year and a half ago, I was denied by AMEX and have been shy about applying for anything since then.  At that time, my scores were in the mid-600s.  

Is the public record a deal breaker for approval?  I really want to apply for the Chase Sapphire card and the AMEX SPG card.  I've hesitated doing so because I don't want to risk the inquiries without approval.  

What do you folks think?  Are there any good credit cards that use only TU scores?  Does anyone know when the public record will drop off my report?  

Thanks for all your help -- I've learned so much from this forum to get my finances in order!  

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

Re: Is a Public Record a deal breaker?

If you would like to get a few cards that pulls only TU u can go with any GECRB cards....... i would say apply for Paypal Extras and Walmart they GECRB will pull TU always....

Heres a link to there credit cards:

http://www.gecapital.com/en/our-company/retail-partners.html

Heres Financiing if thats something u would like to do too:

https://businesscenter.gogecapital.com/DealerLocator/DealerSearch.do

CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 2 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@AdamNYC wrote:

My scores according to myFICO:  EX 741, EQ 730, TU 791

I have a tax lien that was filed in 2002 and paid off in 2010 that shows on my EX and EQ report, but not my TU report.  The only credit cards I have are securied cards with Cap1 and Orchard (now Cap1) with embarassingly tiny credit limits (less than 1K between both of them).  Util is around 3% just to get a good track record.  

About a year and a half ago, I was denied by AMEX and have been shy about applying for anything since then.  At that time, my scores were in the mid-600s.  

Is the public record a deal breaker for approval?  I really want to apply for the Chase Sapphire card and the AMEX SPG card.  I've hesitated doing so because I don't want to risk the inquiries without approval.  

What do you folks think?  Are there any good credit cards that use only TU scores?  Does anyone know when the public record will drop off my report?  

Thanks for all your help -- I've learned so much from this forum to get my finances in order!  

Most if not all tax liens are 10 years or lower from a reporting standard, a lien from 2002 should've fallen off in almost all cases.  I'd see about getting that removed period, and if it's a Federal one, you can now simply file a form as soon as you pay it (or engage in a DirectDebit payment plan) and it comes off in 30 days.

As far as for a PR being a dealbreaker, it may be for certain products but I have an unpaid Fed lien from 2003, and a paid CA State one from 2011, and was approved for Amex Zync, BCP, and Chase Freedom.  Likely it may have been something else in your profile honestly, but I would clean it up first anyway.

        
Message 3 of 13
AdamNYC
Established Member

@Revelate wrote:

Most if not all tax liens are 10 years or lower from a reporting standard, a lien from 2002 should've fallen off in almost all cases.  I'd see about getting that removed period, and if it's a Federal one, you can now simply file a form as soon as you pay it (or engage in a DirectDebit payment plan) and it comes off in 30 days.

As far as for a PR being a dealbreaker, it may be for certain products but I have an unpaid Fed lien from 2003, and a paid CA State one from 2011, and was approved for Amex Zync, BCP, and Chase Freedom.  Likely it may have been something else in your profile honestly, but I would clean it up first anyway.

Thanks!  I will try disputing the tax lien again.  It is a GA tax lien. I assume the reason it has not dropped off automatically is because it was not fully paid until 2010, even though it was filed in 2002.  It is my understanding that it will drop off 7 years after the payment date, but I could be wrong.  

Message 4 of 13
HYPASS33
Frequent Contributor

If its federal just first get it released and then file a withdrawal and once you get the withdrawal you can fax it to CRA and they will delete it.
Message 5 of 13
essexjet
Contributor

I just got an AmEx Green Card with an open unpaid judgement
2/21/19 Fico's: EQ 651 - TU 666 - EXP 670
4/4/19 Fico's: EQ 744 - TU 763 - EXP 758

AMEX Platinum: NPSL / DCU $3000 / Barclaycard Apple Visa $2700 / Firestone $1200 / Credit One Bank $1100 / Walmart $8000 / Capital One $500 / Chase United Explorer $5000 / Discover IT $1500 / NFCU $1500 / Sams Club $7500
Message 6 of 13
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

Common misconception on state tax liens. They fall of 7 years after they are paid off. if you paid it in 2010 it will be on there until 2017. They do not fall off 7 years after DOFD like credit cards.

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 7 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

+1

Although a PR is a major derog as time goes by it will not be as detrimental. You might have tried Amex too soon after paying it for them. I would definitely try again in the future.
Good luck
Message 8 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@MarcinXP wrote:

Common misconception on state tax liens. They fall of 7 years after they are paid off. if you paid it in 2010 it will be on there until 2017. They do not fall off 7 years after DOFD like credit cards.

That's interesting.

I don't think the IRS is allowed to continue to report on unenforcable liens at least under the current statutes?  Payment of a lien does not (unless you sign something like the IRS used to "require" you to do) necessarily extend the statute of limitations?  I knew states were different and it varies by state, but that sucks.

        
Message 9 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@MarcinXP wrote:

That's interesting.

I don't think the IRS is allowed to continue to report on unenforcable liens at least under the current statutes?  Payment of a lien does not (unless you sign something like the IRS used to "require" you to do) necessarily extend the statute of limitations?  I knew states were different and it varies by state, but that sucks.

Actually becaue it varies by state I sort of wonder at that one.

CA explicitly: 

• Effective for 10 years or more - Once a lien is recorded, the lien continues in effect for 10 years unless extended for an additional 10 years (California Government Code Section 7172(b)).

        
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.