cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a secured card worth it?

tag
ellefante

Is a secured card worth it?

I'm considering a secured card with USAA.  I'm suppose to be gardening but I just wanted to help my utilization a little more.  I just got a navheck increase by NFCU but I'm wondering if i should just stop here or to go ahead and get a secured cc.  Just wanted insight on those who have a secured one, USAA especially..

Stash: NFCU Rewards - $2K | NAVCheck - $2K
Last app: 3/12/13
Gardening until: 11/2013
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Is a secured card worth it?

IMO, I don't think it is worth it, just for utilization.     If you need bigger CL to cover monthly expenses, then I would consider it.  

Message 2 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

without knowing your full picture from your signature I would say just garden for awhile. Then on your next app spree you should get nice cards with good limits

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 11
ellefante

Thanks.  My score is very low and I'm just starting to learn how to increase it being that I don't have a mortgage or loans and just my navcheck and nfcu cc basically.   I just learned that utilization is what's keeping my score so still.   I'll just keep gardening now that I got my balance down on my cc and a higher CL on the navcheck. 

Message 4 of 11
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You could...it would increase your trade lines. For rebuilding, usually having 3-4 CCs with some diversity such as an installment or auto loan works most rapidly...good luck!
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 5 of 11
ellefante

Thanks!  I'm gardening until November when I plan on getting a new car at that time.  I can't get a autoloan through NFCU right now on my own and I haven't tried with a cosigner yet.  My b/f wants to cosign but I'm scared to even put in the application with a cosigner just yet in case I waste an inquiry with a declined application or a loan amount less than what I'm looking for.

Message 6 of 11
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Your loan amount mostly depends on your income and with a cosigner, his income counts as well. Usually, if the cosigner qualifies, you qualify as far as auto loans are concerned. With mortgages, everybody on the loan has to meet the min requirement, which is usually a 640 mid fico and the lowest qualifying score determines the interest rate.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 7 of 11
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@ellefante wrote:

Thanks.  My score is very low and I'm just starting to learn how to increase it being that I don't have a mortgage or loans and just my navcheck and nfcu cc basically.   I just learned that utilization is what's keeping my score so still.   I'll just keep gardening now that I got my balance down on my cc and a higher CL on the navcheck. 

Remember, there is no history of utilization, so it only matters when you FICO score is generated.   So you can ignore it for now and then pay your balances early the month before your car loan application is made and it will be the highest it can be at that time. 

Message 8 of 11
omgitsphilly
New Contributor

capital one secured card for 10 months helped me bag 

Chase Freedom

American Express Green Card

Discover It 

all in 2013

Message 9 of 11
ellefante

Ok cool I didn't know that.  When it comes to loans and income, is it that the more income you have the more you'll be approved for? 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.